Monday, 24 August 2015

Review: A Wrinkle in Time - The Graphic Novel by Madeleine L'Engle and Hope Larson

A Wrinkle in Time - The Graphic Novel 
by Madeleine L'Engle and Hope Larson 
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Pages: 392
Format: Hardcover, Paperback, Kindle
Purchase: [Amazon] [Chapters/Indigo]
The world already knows Meg and Charles Wallace Murry, Calvin O'Keefe, and the three Mrs--Who, Whatsit, and Which--the memorable and wonderful characters who fight off a dark force and save our universe in the Newbery award-winning classic A Wrinkle in Time. But in 50 years of publication, the book has never been illustrated. Now, Hope Larson takes the classic story to a new level with her vividly imagined interpretations of tessering and favorite characters like the Happy Medium and Aunt Beast. Perfect for old fans and winning over new ones, this graphic novel adaptation is a must-read.

A fantastic graphic novel read for fans of the series or new readers hoping to sink their teeth into an all time classic.

The Time Quintet series by Madeleine L'Engle is one that positively shaped my childhood and was one of the first books that pulled me into the imaginative and rewarding world of reading. As a young reader I was obsessed with Goosebumps titles but desperately searched for something new to capture my attention, something that didn't involve creatures that went bump in the night. When my elementary school librarian introduced me to A Wrinkle in Time, I wasn't convinced. I stared at the cover, completely worn over time, and doubted I'd enjoy it. I was wrong, very wrong.

First released in 1962, A Wrinkle in Time was a novel that opened new doors for me when it came to reading material. I was instantaneously pulled into an incredible fantasy/time travel adventure that boggled my mind and had me begging my parents for the rest of the series. Sleepless nights, stressed parents, and five books later I had found a new world to enjoy. My mini obsession with Madeleine's characters mystified my parents.

"It was a dark and stormy night."

When I learned that a graphic novel for the first novel in the series was being adapted by Hope Larson, I freaked (more like squealed). I was excited to see how Hope would portray my all time favourite characters - beings that played such an important part in my early reading experiences. Would my most memorable quotes make an appearance? Would Meg appear the same way I'd imagined her all those years ago? In my opinion, Hope Larson nailed it! She perfectly captured Meg, Charles, Calvin, and Mrs Who, Whatsit, and Which. It was a walk down memory lane, bringing back fond memories of why I fell in love with the fantasy genre and renewed my love for all things timey-wimey.  The graphic novel for A Wrinkle in Time perfectly captured every key moment of the novel without leaving anything out, a welcome change in recent book-to-graphic novel adaptations.

Readers who love time travel, scientific concepts, and nonstop mind boggling action will find themselves pleasantly surprised by A Wrinkle in Time. In novel or graphic novel format, the series has the power to captivate you and draw you deep into it's world. I have no doubt that fans of ANY fantasy series, whether it dabbles into science fiction and time travel or neither at all, will adore this series. Don't be fooled by it's intended audience, readers of any age will enjoy A Wrinkle in Time. I highly recommend readers who have not read the series to begin with the graphic novel if unsure. I'm positive any reader, young or old, will fall in love with Madeleine's iconic characters and feel inspired.



Rating: 5 / 5 Cupcakes Highly Recommended.




This title was purchased by the blogger for their personal collection. No payment was received/accepted in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited without the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's

7 comments

  1. I have A Wrinkle in Time next on my to read list however I didn't know about the graphic novel. Thank you for the wonderful review Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reminding me of the time quintet series. I loved it as a kid growing up and still love it today. Not many people I know mention this series so it's great to see it again on a blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear someone else loved it, as well =D

      Delete
  3. added to my goodreads
    great review

    ReplyDelete