event

Recap: Raincoast Books Teens Read Winter + Spring 2016 Preview

Monday, September 14, 2015Cupcake Queen

September 12th was a day of bookish awesome in the city of Toronto. As book bloggers made their way to Downtown Toronto's Public Reference Library, Raincoast Books, Jenn (Lost in a Great book) and Vanessa (Ampersand Inc) were hard at work putting the finishing details to this year's Winter/Spring 2016 preview. While Toronto and Vancouver were having an in person meet up for the preview, other bloggers across Canada were also invited to attend the event virtually via Google Hangout.

At around 2:00PM Toronto book bloggers meeting at the entrance of the Toronto Reference Library made their way into the event space, a cozy boardroom nestled in the back of the library. We were each greeted by Jenn and Vanessa, who offered us name tags, candy, coffee, and snacks. After helping ourselves to goodies and receiving our swag bags, we were ready to begin the preview event via Google Hangout. 

Using the packets included in our swag bags, we followed along as Raincoast Books introduced us to all the incredible upcoming Winter/Spring 2016 titles. A lot of highly anticipated titles were mentioned and a lot of unknown titles were brought to our attention (including some early cover reveals *wink wink*). Each title sounded absolutely wonderful!


Titles From the Teens Read Preview I'm Highly Anticipating:
*My thoughts are quoted below and titles are linked to Goodreads*

These Vicious Masks by Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas
"Jane Austen meets X-Men. Who are we kidding here? I'm all over this!"

Riders by Veronica Rossi
"Have you read Under the Never Sky? No? Well we can't be friends then (just kidding, we totally can!) Veronica Rossi is one of my favourite authors (I have many) and I'm so excited for Riders. It's a sci-fi/fantasy title sure to wow readers this February."

Tell the Wind and Fire by Sarah Rees Brennan
"Readers who have read anything by Sarah Rees Brennan know why I'm highly anticipating Tell the Wind and Fire - she's brilliant. I have no doubt that Sarah's latest will wow me."

Truthwitch by Susan Dennard
"I've had the opportunity to read the sampler of Truthwitch and what I've read was fantastic! I'm highly anticipating Susan Dennard's latest and strongly feel that it should be on everyone's next to read list. Sarah J. Maas (author of the bestselling Throne of Glass series) calls it "An instant classic. Fierce and vibrant world, richly-drawn characters, and dazzling intrigue".

Thief of Lies by Brenda Drake
"Recommended for fans of Harry Potter and Cinderella's Dress, two titles/series that I absolutely loved. Can't wait for Thief of Lies by Brenda Drake!"

Firsts by Laurie Elizabeth Flynn
"Another upcoming novel from a Canadian author that I feel everyone should add to their read lists. It's got an interesting premise but sounds like a wonderful contemporary. I'm looking forward to reading it!"


Into the Dim by Janet B. Taylor
"Outlander for teens? SOLD! You need not say more. I'm an avid Diana Gabaldon fan, so when a publisher compares an upcoming title as being similar to Outlander, I'm in."

All The Feels by Danika Stone
"That title was what first caught my attention. After reading the premise I was instantly sold. An avid fangirl's favourite character is killed off (all readers can relate to this) and she and her best friend choose to fight back."

Love, Lies and Spies by Cindy Anstey
"A hilarious homage to Jane Austen by a Canadian author residing in Nova Scotia. The cover is gorgeous and that premise - eep! Is it April yet? No? *cries* "

Holding Court by KC Held
"Holding Court is a romantic, humorous YA mystery in the vein of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. I haven't had a chance to read that series (I will - I promise) but Holding Court sounds excellent. It's a YA detective story I can't wait to read."

Stars Above by Marissa Meyer
"Fans of the Lunar Chronicles will need to make room on their shelves or e-readers for Stars Above. I'm very excited for this!"

No Love Allowed by Kate Evangelista
"A modern day Great Gatsby - sold! I actually received this title in my swag bag from the preview event. It looks and sounds like an excellent read, perfect for teens and adults looking for a breath of fresh air."


Upcoming Titles You Need to Check Out:
*My thoughts are quoted below. Titles are linked to Goodreads.*

This Song Is (Not) For You by Laura Nowlin
"An upcoming title from Sourcebooks Fire about a two best friends, love, and being true to yourself. This upcoming title sounds like the perfect emotional and romantic read."

This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp
"This one has a very powerful and intense premise. It takes place over the course of 54 harrowing minutes during a high school shooting. The author is also a member of We Need Diverse Books, the founder of DiversifYA and a founding contributor of YA Misfits. A definite must read this January."

I See Reality
"Twelve original stories from twelve incredible authors about real issues for real teens. A title that asks hard questions about sexuality, addiction, violence, and immigration. I highly recommend this for teens looking for something outside of fiction and focusing more on current real issues."

This Is The Story Of You by Beth Kephart
"A tale of a young girl who braves a terrible storm only to deal with the aftermath."

The Winner's Kiss by Marie Rutkoski
"Fans of The Winner's Trilogy know what this title is - it's the conclusion! I'm so excited for the end of Marie's series. It's an incredible read and I absolutely recommend readers who haven't had a chance to read it to do so asap!"

In Real Life by Jessica Love
"The buzz? My Best Friend's Wedding meets The Hangover - for teens. Here, take all my money. In Real Life is about a girl who meets her online BFF in real life. After an impulsive road trip, the protagonist discovers that her online BFF has secrets he's left unshared. This one's a definite on my to read list."

Gena/Finn by Kat Helgeson/Hanna Moskowitz
"Gena/Finn sounds promising. A tale about two young women who forge a friendship through fanfiction, message boards, and is told through texts, chats, and blog posts. Interesting concept!"

You Were Here by Cori McCarthy
"An interesting tale about a young girl, grieving her brother's death, whom turns into a daredevil in his memory. A definite must read from Sourcebooks Fire this March."

Flawed by Cecelia Ahern
"Scarlet Letter meets Divergent - an interesting choice of titles to compare to an upcoming book, but the premise of Flawed sounds like a definite must read. It focuses on a society where rebellious behavior is severely punished."

The Square Root of Summer by Harriet Reuter Hapgood
"A time travel romance readers are sure to be curious about. I hadn't heard of The Square Root of Summer before the preview but I'm glad I did!"

Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Cordova
"Any fan of Zoraida Cordova is sure to be anticipating Labyrinth Lost. I loved her Vicious Deep series! Also, Labyrinth Lost involves brujas. Yeah, I'm sold. I'm confident Zoraida will impress with Labyrinth Lost!"

The Art of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson
"Gorgeous cover and a powerful premise. The Art of Being Normal is about two transgender friends who figure out how to navigate teen life with help from each other."

How It Ends by Catherine Lo
"A title from a Canadian author that focuses on teen friendship and it's struggles. It focuses on what happens when friends choose assumptions and fear over each other. "

Other Titles:


After learning about all the incredible releases readers can expect to see this upcoming winter/spring season, preview participants were asked to break into discussion over what titles they were highly anticipating. My instant pick was Thief of Lies. It's described as being a perfect fit for fans of Harry Potter and Cinderella's dress, and the premise sounds intriguing.  My second choice was a no brainer - Sarah Rees Brennan's latest. I'm a big fan of her titles and Tell the Wind and Fire looks/sounds like an epic read!

When several minutes of bookishly discussion passed, Raincoast Books drew three winners for some incredible prize packs. Congratulations to all the winners!

Overall, the event organized by Raincoast Books, Jenn, and Vanessa was informative and fun. Readers can expect amazing new titles from authors we already love and debut authors that are certain to knock our socks off.

Thank you to Raincoast Books, Jenn and Vanessa for taking the time to organize the preview. If you're interested in finding out more about the event, feel free to check out the #TeensReadFeed hastag via Twitter.

(Pictured: Book blogettes and swag from the preview event. Thanks to Hayley for taking the photo!)



My Favourite Tweets From the Evening:

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Oh this looked like it was so much fun Wendy! Thank you for taking the time to write out all the upcoming books. I'm adding a good chunk of them to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that, Amy =D There are many amazing titles to look check out.

      Delete
  2. will bookmark this for later
    a lot of books to look at (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the list!
    Too many books to read but I'm excited.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Instagram

Contact Form