youngadult

Review: The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

Friday, September 11, 2015Cupcake Queen

The 5th Wave
by Rick Yancey
Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers
Pages: 457
Format: Hardcover, Paperback, Ebook,
Release Date: May 7th, 2013
Purchase: [Amazon] [Chapters/Indigo]
After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker.

Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.
     

*Note: This review might contain spoilers for those who have not read the novel*


“I thought I knew what loneliness was before he found me, but I had no clue. You don't know what real loneliness is until you've known the opposite.”  - The 5th Wave

I wasn't around the book blogging world for much of the buzz and hype for The 5th Wave. I'd just started my blogging hiatus but still caught wind of Rick Yancey's brand new series. With early buzz and hype I'm always wary, I'm never sure if it somehow influences my reading experience and interferes with how I truly feel about a book. With that said, I'm glad I chose to postpone reading The 5th Wave until now, especially with the release of the movie just around the corner.

“How do you rid the Earth of humans? Rid the humans of their humanity.”  
- The 5th Wave

The 5th Wave is a tale of post apocalyptic alien invasion survival with an incredible female lead. Cassie's narrative made her easy in which to relate. She was snarky, bad ass, responsible, brave, but she also feared for her life. She was a character who was unafraid to show her true colours and was,  by far, my favourite character of the novel. That's not to say that other characters, including Evan and Ben, weren't great. Rick Yancey took great care to give them realistic and vividly deep personalities, a great way of making me feel a deep connection with each character that held a key role to the progression of the story. Furthermore, the relationships between the characters were realistically strong. I could feel myself being emotionally attached with each character in every dire situation they encountered.

As I mentioned before, I'm thankful for missing out on reading The 5th Wave during it's initial hype. I've always been cautious of reading something before or immediately after it's release due to rave reviews, hype campaigns, and blog tours. Choosing to read it now made the read fresh for me and I walked into it completely void of expectations. Overall, I truly enjoyed The 5th Wave. Cassie was an amazing character, Rick Yancey did an excellent job sucking me into the story, and I find that I'm completely intrigued by the world he's created. I highly recommend The 5th Wave to readers over the age of 13, who are looking for a great action packed read about aliens, survival, and fierce characters. Pick up your copy before the movie hits theatres.



Rating: 4/5 Cupcakes. Recommended



Check out the movie trailer:


This title was purchased by the blogger for their personal collection. No payment was received/accepted in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited without the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I remember standing in line for this ARC before I really knew anything about the book. I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the movie!

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy I'm actually very anxious for the film to come out. I loved 5th Wave when it was first released. The hype might have played a big part of my enjoyment but I agree that it was a great book.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Contact Form