nonfiction

Review: Binge by Tyler Oakley

Saturday, October 24, 2015Cupcake Queen

BINGE
by Tyler Oakley
Publisher: Gallery Books
Pages: 320
Format: Hardcover
Release Date: October 20th, 2015
Purchase: [Amazon] [Chapters/Indigo]
Pop-culture phenomenon, social rights advocate, and the most prominent LGBTQ+ voice on YouTube, Tyler Oakley brings you his first collection of witty, personal, and hilarious essays.

For someone who made a career out of over-sharing on the Internet, Tyler has a shocking number of personal mishaps and shenanigans to reveal in his first book: experiencing a legitimate rage blackout in a Cheesecake Factory; negotiating a tense stand­off with a White House official; crashing a car in front of his entire high school, in an Arby’s uniform; projectile vomiting while bartering with a grandmother; and so much more. In Binge, Tyler delivers his best untold, hilariously side-splitting moments with the trademark flair that made him a star. 
     



I've never quite enjoyed reading memoirs, that is to say it's typically the kind of book I'll only dare to look at last. I've read Tina Fey's Bossy Pants, Lena Dunham's Not That Kind of Girl, and countless others that have all left me crestfallen. Going into a memoir I expect a strong impression of likability and realism, and unfortunately, in my experiences, that hasn't always been the case. As an avid Youtube user, it's fair to say that Tyler Oakley is one of my favourite of the high-ranking Youtubers. When I learned about his upcoming memoir filled with hilarious essays, I had to give it a try, past experiences be damned!

"Even at a young age, 
I had a profound distaste for offensive stereotypes."

Binge by Tyler Oakley is very unique in voice and experience. In his first book, Tyler talks about countless important issues, setting his memoir apart from other celebrity tell alls. In Binge, topics like life-long fears, relationships, family appreciation, friendship, offensive stereotyping, and anxiety are all discussed in an honest and down to earth manner, tying perfectly with Tyler's own personal experiences in those situations. Each chapter was a new and refreshing take on growing up different and not falling into unison with everyone around you.

All seriousness aside, Tyler Oakley is hilarious! Despite the severity of many of his encounters and the importance of each and every struggle or embarrassing moment, Tyler has a wonderful sense of keeping it lighthearted when talking about it. He doesn't play "holier than thou" for going through it, he wants you to relate to him which is something I greatly appreciated as a reader.

Binge by Tyler Oakley is an absolute must read for memoir lovers and Youtube subscribers. Binge was a phenomenal and breezy read with an insanely witty dialogue of random but oddly relatable events. Youtuber memoirs are definitely something I can see myself reading again in the future, and I would love to see some from Charles Trippy (CTFXC), Kandee Johnson, and Markiplier!



Rating:
5 / 5 Cupcakes


This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accepted in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited without the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. True talk - I've never watched his videos. I never watch anything on Youtube other than book or movie trailers. I'm going to check him out and hopefully the book soon thanks to your review. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love him! I've got Binge and I'm so excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you Wendy, I'm not a fan of memoirs either, however Tyler Oakley is an exception to my anti-memoir reading rule

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope he hits #1 on the bestsellers list for Binge. It was so good!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Instagram

Contact Form