Monday, 23 November 2015

Review: Reawakened by Colleen Houck

Reawakened
by Colleen Houck
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Pages: 400
Format: Hardcover
Release Date: August 11th, 2015
Purchase: [Amazon] [Chapters/Indigo]
When seventeen-year-old Lilliana Young enters the Metropolitan Museum of Art one morning during spring break, the last thing she expects to find is a live Egyptian prince with godlike powers, who has been reawakened after a thousand years of mummification.

And she really can't imagine being chosen to aid him in an epic quest that will lead them across the globe to find his brothers and complete a grand ceremony that will save mankind.

But fate has taken hold of Lily, and she, along with her sun prince, Amon, must travel to the Valley of the Kings, raise his brothers, and stop an evil, shape-shifting god named Seth from taking over the world.

From New York Times bestselling author Colleen Houck comes an epic adventure about two star-crossed teens who must battle mythical forces and ancient curses on a journey with more twists and turns than the Nile itself.
     


Everyone's familiar with Colleen Houck's Tiger saga, whether they've had the opportunity to read the series or not. It's a series that's been on my radar for quite some time, though unfortunately I've yet to set the time aside to read it, something I hope to remedy sometime soon. When I first spotted the cover of Reawakened during a shopping trip, I was curious to learn more about the book behind the gorgeous and visually enticing cover. The Egyptian mythology intrigued me. I'd spent years wishing for a young adult title about a modern adventure with ancient Egyptian mythology, curses, and mummies, and Reawakened by Colleen Houck came across as book sent by the Gods themselves.

“Eternity is a long time to exist without something to remember.”

Seventeen year old Lilliana Young enjoys spending her free time at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. However, one morning her relaxing routine is interrupted by an Egyptian Prince of immense power when he's reawakened from a thousand years of mummification. Lilliana is unexpectedly pulled into an epic adventure across the globe to aid the prince in a task to save mankind.

First and foremost, gorgeous cover and intriguing premise aside, I had a difficult time processing and enjoying Reawakened by Colleen Houck, though that isn't to stay that it didn't satisfy my inner book nerd. The Egyptian mythology, curses, thrilling chases, and twists were completely engaging and by far the most promising aspects of Colleen's latest. Unfortunately, I felt that the characters (Prince Amon and Lilliana) were lackluster and monotonous. In fact, the only characters I felt invested to were the side characters - a definite let down for a title I desperately wished to love.

Overall, Reawakened by Colleen Houck, the first in this new series, was an entertaining read but failed to keep me invested long enough for the sequel. With that said, readers who are looking to give this title a try are most definitely encouraged to do so. The Egyptian mythology and action is certainly a breath of fresh air.



Rating: 
3 / 5 Cupcakes





This title was purchased by the blogger for their personal collection. No payment was received/accepted in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited without the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's

6 comments

  1. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friends loved REAWAKENED but it wasn't for me either. Good to see I'm not the only one with the same thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katherine Pinacho23 November 2015 at 10:39

    Thanks Wendy!
    There are plenty of mixed reviews for this title and I'm so wary about reading it. I'm still very thankful you let everyone know what you thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read Reawakend too and wasn't that crazy about it. Probably because I was hoping it would be closer to The Mummy aka the film? I didn't like the Prince very much either. Thank you for being so candid with your thoughts. It's appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent review and straight to the point (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, all of the reviews I have read of this book were pretty lukewarm....

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete