Monday, 28 December 2015

Review: Impostor Queen by Sarah Fine

The Impostor Queen
by Sarah Fine
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Pages: 366
Format: Hardcover
Release Date: January 5th, 2016
Purchase: [Amazon] [Chapters/Indigo]
Sixteen-year-old Elli was a small child when the Elders of Kupari chose her to succeed the Valtia, the queen who wields infinitely powerful ice and fire magic. Since then, Elli has lived in the temple, surrounded by luxury and tutored by magical priests, as she prepares for the day when the Valtia perishes and the magic finds a new home in her. Elli is destined to be the most powerful Valtia to ever rule.

But when the queen dies defending the kingdom from invading warriors, the magic doesn’t enter Elli. It’s nowhere to be found.

Disgraced, Elli flees to the outlands, the home of banished criminals—some who would love to see the temple burn with all its priests inside. As she finds her footing in this new world, Elli uncovers devastating new information about the Kupari magic, those who wield it, and the prophecy that foretold her destiny. Torn between the love she has for her people and her growing loyalty to the banished, Elli struggles to understand the true role she was meant to play. But as war looms, she must align with the right side—before the kingdom and its magic are completely destroyed.
     


Sarah Fine's titles have always caught my eye. I've always found myself discovering new and interesting titles on Goodreads, adding them to my to-read list, though unfortunately never having the opportunity to sit down and read one. Luckily, with the release of The Impostor Queen, one of my most anticipated 2016 releases, I was fortunate enough to have the chance to settle down and see why everyone loves Sarah Fine's creative worlds first-hand. My experience was everything I could have hoped for!

"Pain has taken me in its monstrous arms, laid me on its table, and now it's eating me alive." 

An old queen dies and a new one replaces her - that's how it's always been. The Impostor Queen follows the story of Elli, a sixteen year old girl who was taken as a child by the Elders of Kupari to succeed the queen who wields ice and fire magic. Over the years, Elli has been trained to take the current queen's place when the time comes, however when the queen dies and Elli never receives the magic, she flees to the outlands. There she learns a devastating new truth about Kupari magic and more.

"This is no flurry of flakes but a raging blizzard. Avalanches rolling with killing speed into the rocky basin of my skull." 

The Impostor Queen by Sarah Fine was everything I had hoped for! My first experience into the creative mind of Sarah Fine was enough to make me a fan for life (not only that, but desperate to read into her other titles, too!) Elli was a phenomenal character - always growing, realistic, and flawed, though I wasn't exactly her biggest fan in the beginning. Furthermore, the magical element and incredible world building of The Impostor Queen was spectacular! I'm desperately awaiting news of a companion novel!

The Impostor Queen by Sarah Fine is an absolute must! Perfect for fans of Sarah J Maas, Josephine Angelini, and Morgan Rhodes, who need their next fantasy fix.
 
Rating: 
4 / 5 Cupcakes



This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited with the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

6 comments

  1. OHHHHHHH I WANT THIS BOOK SO BAD!
    I can't believe you haven't read OF METAL AND WISHES or MARKED. They are good!
    THANKS FOR REVIEWING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm disappointed that I haven't!

      Delete
  2. Excellent review, Wendy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katherine Pinacho28 December 2015 at 10:32

    I'm very excited for the Impostor Queen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Imposter Queen sounds like a must on my buy list next month. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been seeing her books around a lot and have always been meaning to try one for myself. I have this one which I am excited to crack into at some point soon. It sounds so promising :) So glad it met all your expectations and that you were able to love it :3

    ReplyDelete