youngadult

Review: The Masked Truth by Kelley Armstrong

Friday, December 11, 2015Cupcake Queen

The Masked Truth
by Kelley Armstrong
Publisher: Doubleday Canada
Pages: 352
Format: Hardcover
Release Date: October 13th, 2015
Purchase: [Amazon] [Chapters/Indigo]
In this heart-stopping suspense thriller, #1 New York Times bestselling author Kelley Armstrong proves herself to be a master of terror and suspense.

Riley Vasquez is haunted by the brutal murder of the couple she was babysitting for.

Max Cross is suffering under the shadow of a life-altering diagnosis he doesn’t dare reveal.

The last thing either of them wants is to spend a weekend away at a therapy camp alongside five other teens with “issues.” But that’s exactly where they are when three masked men burst in to take the group hostage.

The building has no windows. The exits are sealed shut. Their phones are gone. And their captors are on a killing spree.

Riley and Max know that if they can’t get out, they’ll be next—but they’re about to discover that even escape doesn’t equal freedom.
     


I spent days - DAYS - trying to figure out how to write a review about The Masked Truth without giving it away. Trust me, cupcakes, Kelley makes it tough! (That's a good thing, not bad). She's a Queen of suspense and thriller, and every time she releases a book it drives me up the wall with excitement. I've yet to be disappointed by her, and The Masked Truth was most definitely not where she was going to start.

"The English language, one might argue, has far too many words. Sometimes, though, it simply doesn't have enough."

In Kelley's latest suspense thriller, readers meet Riley Vasquez who is haunted by the murder of a couple. Enter Max Cross who is suffering from something he dare not reveal to anyone. When the two inexplicably meet at a therapy camp surrounded by other teens dealing with their own personal issues, they don't expect to be taken hostage by three masked men. A killing spree ensues and a fight for freedom begins.

Kelley Armstrong is one of my favourite all-time authors - and she's Canadian! With that said, I knew The Masked Truth was going to have to be an absolute must on my reading list. The suspense and emotion throughout the title was intense and gripping. I felt completely invested in Kelley's characters, their struggles, and encounters with some rather unfortunate and dire circumstances. Furthermore, the detailed descriptions and background on PTSD and other mental illnesses throughout The Masked Truth was informative without being preachy, and greatly appreciated.

Fans of Kelley Armstrong will find The Masked Truth will easily become a favourite. As a title I highly anticipate re-reading in the nearby future, I found it to be completely captivating, intense, mesmerizing, and at times heartrendingly terrifying. An absolute must!

Rating: 
5 / 5 Cupcakes



This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited with the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I'm a big fan of Kelley's and I agree this book is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - there isn't much that can be discussed about The Masked Truth without dropping a spoiler. However, I also agree that it was a wonderful book. She's a great offer and I'm so glad to see you recommending her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should say "author" instead of "offer" XD

      Delete
  3. Katherine Pinacho11 December 2015 at 11:06

    Hoping SANTA leaves this under my tree on X-MAS day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, I read this book yesterday. I kept putting it down and then I thought to myself nope need to keep going. I'm trying to figure out my review right now and it is so hard. Absolutely loved this book!!! Kelley truly knew how to keep readers terrified and yet so immersed that you can't stop reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Added to my wishlist. Thanks for telling me about this book.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Instagram

Contact Form