Monday, 21 December 2015

The Adult Colouring Trend - Relieving Stress and Anxiety One Page at a Time


Books have always been my go-to method of relaxation and meditation. Immersing myself in a new world where anything is possible has always been my escape of choice, however after struggling with anxiety, it hasn't always been an option. When struggling with anxiety, I always found it to be difficult to turn my brain off and to focus on something else, leaving me stuck when it came to starting a new novel or continuing a title I left off. Coloring (in general) wasn't ever really an option for me, or one that would come to mind. Before 2015, coloring was better left off to children, especially considering the only coloring mediums out there were only available TO children.


The new adult coloring trend, in my opinion, was a god send for those who struggle with anxiety and stress. With coloring books focusing on movies, television shows, and even intricate flower and animal patterns, it gave me a wide range of options to choose from. With that said, it was a given I'd dive head-first into this fun trend, and with countless favourites to boot!


My personal adult colouring book favourites:

Harry Potter: The Official Coloring Book from Scholastic. 
This title is perfect for fans of the franchise! Features plenty of colouring spreads featuring out favourite characters, creatures, and also includes some film screenshots for colouring references.

Fantastic Cities: A Coloring Book of Amazing Places Real and Imagined from Steve McDonald. 
A wonderful (and large) colouring book featuring real places (and imagined) for the architecture loving nerd in all of us.

The Time Garden: A Magical Journey and Coloring Book from Daria Song. 
One of the first colouring books I picked up and was instantly impressed by the story the images told. So imaginative!

Lost Ocean: An Inky Adventure and Coloring Book from Johanna Basford. 
Johanna has countless colouring books out in the world, but Lost Ocean is my absolute favourite thus far. Mermaids, jellyfish, pirate ships - the coluring opportunities are ENDLESS!

The Official Outlander Coloring Book from Diana Gabaldon. 
A perfect addition to any Outlander fan's bookshelf. I absolutely adore the series, so this colouring book was an obvious choice for yours truly.





Have you joined the adult colouring trend? 
If so, what are your favourite colouring books? Let me know in the comments below.

Meanwhile, be sure to check these fantastic posts/reviews on other colouring books:

Just a Lil' Lost http://www.justalillost.com/2015/12/which-one-to-colour-taking-a-look-at-adult-colouring-books/

Eater of Books - http://eaterofbooks.blogspot.ca/2015/11/blog-tour-i-love-my-hair-by-andrea.html
                            http://eaterofbooks.blogspot.ca/2015/10/review-vampire-combat-field-guide-by.html

With Her Nose Stuck in a Book - https://quirkyladybookworm.wordpress.com/2015/12/18/adult-coloring-books/

6 comments

  1. Katherine Pinacho21 December 2015 at 10:11

    Is that Claire from Outlander in the second photo?
    I might just buy the Outlander book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy the coloring trend happened. It's everything I desperately needed for my stress and it really does work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry about your anxiety but I'm glad to hear you're doing great! (:
    I think coloring books are a great way to de-stress and chill. I really like the Johanna ones and I plan on picking up the Harry Potter as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a huge fan of them. They have been helping me deal with the stress and pain of chronic illness. My favourite is the Sherlock one, but I also have the Game of Thrones and Outlander ones. Harry Potter and Doctor Who are on my Christmas wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep going on about how I am intrigued by colouring books, even though I don't quite understand them. I think I am going to have to take the plunge and actually colour one aren't I?

    ReplyDelete