Friday, 22 January 2016

Review: The Dark Days Club by Alison Goodman

The Dark Days Club
by Alison Goodman
Publisher: Viking Books for Young Readers
Format:Hardcover
Release Date: January 26th, 2016
Purchase: [Chapters/Indigo] [Amazon]
London, April 1812. On the eve of eighteen-year-old Lady Helen Wrexhall’s presentation to the queen, one of her family’s housemaids disappears-and Helen is drawn into the shadows of Regency London. There, she meets Lord Carlston, one of the few who can stop the perpetrators: a cabal of demons infiltrating every level of society. Dare she ask for his help, when his reputation is almost as black as his lingering eyes? And will her intelligence and headstrong curiosity wind up leading them into a death trap?


     


"In the sun-warmed quiet of her uncle's library, Lady Helen Wrexhall spread the skirt of her muslin morning gown and sank into the deep curtsy required for Royal presentation..."

I've wanted to read Eon and Eona for sooooo long, Cupcakes! I mean it, it's been on my tbr list for the longest time, and I've regrettably never had the chance to settle down and read them. Though after reading The Dark Days Club, Alison Goodman's latest and first installment in the Lady Helen series, I'm starting to feel like I really need to remedy that fact.

"Lady Margaret was right: it was the stink of the Devil's Acre that came first."

The Dark Days Club was an instant win for yours truly. Pitched as a London 1812 tale about eighteen year old Lady Helen Wrexhall who is faced with making an important choice on how she is to lead her life, I was surprised by how captivating Alison's historical fic/fantasy title truly was! It felt slightly (but not by much) similar to the Soulless series by Gail Carriger, however Alison Goodman's unique plot twists and intriguing characters (including protagonist Helen) were an extraordinary experience. I'm excitedly anticipating the release of Lady Helen #2!


 
Rating: 
4 / 5 Cupcakes



This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited with the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

8 comments

  1. Great review Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the sound of Dark Days Club
    Thanks for posting about it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very impressed by the summary of the book. I agree it sounds like Soulless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adored the Soulless series. It's a pity the graphic novel series was dropped (boo Yenpress!) I hope you enjoy Dark Days if you choose to pick it up =D

      Delete
  4. The Dark Days Club was one of my pre-orders last year
    I can't wait to see how it reads when it arrives in the mail
    That's a really pretty cover too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The finished hardback is gorgeous in person. The endpapers have a really neat design, as well. Let me know what you thought when you get around to reading it. =D

      Delete
  5. The Dark Days Club was one of my Waiting on Wednesday picks not long ago. I thought it was also similar sounding to the Gail Carriger series. It's good to read that you had a positive experience with it. Thank you for sharing your insight.

    ReplyDelete