youngadult

Review: Firsts by Laurie Elizabeth Flynn

Friday, January 08, 2016Cupcake Queen

Firsts
by Laurie Elizabeth Flynn
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Format:Hardcover
Release Date: January 5th, 2016
Purchase: [Chapters/Indigo] [Amazon]
Seventeen-year-old Mercedes Ayres has an open-door policy when it comes to her bedroom, but only if the guy fulfills a specific criteria: he has to be a virgin. Mercedes lets the boys get their awkward, fumbling first times over with, and all she asks in return is that they give their girlfriends the perfect first time- the kind Mercedes never had herself.

Keeping what goes on in her bedroom a secret has been easy- so far. Her absentee mother isn’t home nearly enough to know about Mercedes’ extracurricular activities, and her uber-religious best friend, Angela, won’t even say the word “sex” until she gets married. But Mercedes doesn’t bank on Angela’s boyfriend finding out about her services and wanting a turn- or on Zach, who likes her for who she is instead of what she can do in bed.

When Mercedes’ perfect system falls apart, she has to find a way to salvage her reputation and figure out where her heart really belongs in the process. Funny, smart, and true-to-life, FIRSTS is a one-of-a-kind young adult novel about growing up.
     


Firsts by Laurie Elizabeth Flynn is THE book teens (and adults) absolutely must read in 2016. Firsts gives readers a realistic perspective on sexuality and being comfortable in one's skin, and is pleasantly completely void of any unrealistic fairy tale nonsense that is often found in most coming of age tales.

I admit, I was fairly judgmental (though I swear it was just for a few moments) when I first came across Firsts on a fellow blogger's Waiting on Wednesday post. Mercedes did not sound like the kind of character I wanted younger readers to get to know, and I certainly was taken back by the synopsis. Judgments aside, Laurie's debut novel created a fierce curiosity in me, one that desperately left me wanting to request the title early for review. I didn't walk into Firsts looking for disappointment, but walked in looking to find a book that would transcend all others before it.

Seventeen year old Mercedes has a mission - helping boys get over their awkward "first time" so they can give their girlfriends THEIR perfect "first time".  Unfortunately, this perfect system of hers doesn't stick for long, and when things fall apart, her reputation comes into question and Mercedes is faced with the task of salvaging what's left of it.

Mercedes was a powerful character, one I couldn't help loving. Fierce and completely comfortable in her own skin, I felt that Mercedes was a wonderful character that I strongly hope teens will relate with. Firsts will without a doubt leave it's readers irrevocably satisfied with Mercedes ups, downs, and in-betweens, and as a beautifully written and inspiring coming of age story, I look forward to seeing more from Laurie Elizabeth Flynn.


 
Rating: 
4 / 5 Cupcakes



This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited with the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Katherine Pinacho8 January 2016 at 10:11

    I'm guilty of being the same way when I come across overly sexual books I usually wouldn't feel fit the age-group. Call me prude, but it's just the time I was raised in. I'm glad you enjoyed Firsts, it sounds pretty good. Thank you for sharing your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent review

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading FIRSTS at the moment and enjoying it quite a bit
    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've never let me down with your recommendations, so despite being hesitant about Firsts I'm going to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been seeing this book around on a lot of blogs and I know it does face controversial issues and discusses them and is basically all about them. I'm not sure how I would feel about going into this book, and I am still debating it myself although I keep seeing positive reviews filling the blogsphere. I guess I should take the plunge and at least try it :3

    My recent review: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2016/01/12-years-slave-book-review.html

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Contact Form