Friday, 15 January 2016

Review: The Killing Jar by Jennifer Bosworth

The Killing Jar
by Jennifer Bosworth
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 352
Release Date: January 12th, 2016
Purchase: [Chapters/Indigo] [Amazon]
“I try not to think about it, what I did to that boy.”

Seventeen-year-old Kenna Marsden has a secret.

She’s haunted by a violent tragedy she can’t explain. Kenna’s past has kept people—even her own mother—at a distance for years. Just when she finds a friend who loves her and life begins to improve, she’s plunged into a new nightmare. Her mom and twin sister are attacked, and the dark powers Kenna has struggled to suppress awaken with a vengeance.

On the heels of the assault, Kenna is exiled to a nearby commune, known as Eclipse, to live with a relative she never knew she had. There, she discovers an extraordinary new way of life as she learns who she really is, and the wonders she’s capable of. For the first time, she starts to feel like she belongs somewhere. That her terrible secret makes her beautiful and strong, not dangerous. But the longer she stays at Eclipse, the more she senses there is something malignant lurking underneath it all. And she begins to suspect that her new family has sinister plans for her…
     


"Sometimes you forget you're alive until you're scared to death."

Jennifer Bosworth is one of those debut authors that instantly stuck to me. I loved her debut "Struck", about a teen girl who's a lightning addict, and recommended it to just about everyone I knew at the time, praising it over and over again. Undeniably, I was excited to read Jennifer's next title, "The Killing Jar". A tale with a peculiar (and curious) name, it's synopsis instantly intrigued me.

"There was a game the Kalyptra liked to play. A game they'd invented that was similar to Truth or Dare."

As a horror title that is vastly different than Jennifer's debut "Struck", I found The Killing Jar to be a fairly entertaining and spooky (perhaps even bone chilling?) read. Even so, I felt that it fell a little flat to my initial expectations. Kenna was a riveting character, unique in personality and circumstance. She was interesting from the get-go and I found myself easily pulled into her engrossing narrative. Despite that, I didn't completely fall in love with The Killing Jar. I felt there was much that was failed to be mentioned (or rather re-visited) towards the end, which left me ultimately letdown.

"I was breathless, my mind spinning like a top right before it goes out of control."

The Killing Jar by Jennifer Bosworth is a unique, creepy, and bone-chilling read. Perfect for teens and adults looking for something different and fans of Bosworth's debut "Struck".


 
Rating: 
3 / 5 Cupcakes



This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited with the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

5 comments

  1. I remember you reviewing STRUCK a few years ago. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent review on your blog this morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Killing Jar is such a weird name but I'm sure it has something to do with the story, right?
    I haven't read Struck by the same author yet, but I'll be researching it.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm interested in learning more about The Killing Jar. I always love a good horror book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...I still can't make up my mind about whether I should add this to my wishlist!!

    ReplyDelete