Friday, 29 January 2016

Review: Unhooked by Lisa Maxwell

Unhooked
by Lisa Maxwell
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 352
Release Date: February 2nd, 2016
Purchase: [Chapters/Indigo] [Amazon]
For as long as she can remember, Gwendolyn Allister has never had a place to call home—all because her mother believes that monsters are hunting them. Now these delusions have brought them to London, far from the life Gwen had finally started to build for herself. The only saving grace is her best friend, Olivia, who’s coming with them for the summer.

But when Gwen and Olivia are kidnapped by shadowy creatures and taken to a world of flesh-eating sea hags and dangerous Fey, Gwen realizes her mom might have been sane all along.

The world Gwen finds herself in is called Neverland, yet it’s nothing like the stories. Here, good and evil lose their meaning and memories slip like water through her fingers. As Gwen struggles to remember where she came from and find a way home, she must choose between trusting the charming fairy-tale hero who says all the right things and the roguish young pirate who promises to keep her safe.

With time running out and her enemies closing in, Gwen is forced to face the truths she’s been hiding from all along. But will she be able to save Neverland without losing herself?
     


"So the stories are true," I say, watching the dance of the waters. Maybe the tales weren't accurate, exactly, but ... "Neverland is real." I glance over at him. "And so are you."

When I think Peter Pan, I imagine the old Disney classic - a mysterious flying boy with pixie-pointed ears, a twinkling fairy, and an island full of lost boys and adventures to be had. I've always loved the idea of another world, isolated from our own, where you could lose yourself to new experiences, and I suppose Disney's re-telling is partly responsible for my deep fascination with Peter Pan (besides the fact that my name is Wendy *wink wink*). Beyond my fascination with Disney's classic rendition of J.M. Barrie's tale, I've dreamed of finding a semi (if not completely) modernized retelling that could captivate not only myself but teens, as well. When I came across Lisa Maxwell's Unhooked, I was determined to pick it up, hoping it would be everything I was looking for.

"I don't feel the pain at first. Until the blood wells from where the point of the knife has sliced my skin, I don't feel anything at all."

Unhooked by Lisa Maxwell is unlike any other Peter Pan retelling I've read. It was unique, refreshing, and incredibly well written. Gwendolyn (Wendy), Pan, and Rowan (Captain or Hook) were a welcome contrast to their predecessors. I realized very early in Unhooked that Lisa Maxwell didn't reveal all there was to these characters we've read and come to know as children. There was a deeper mystery to them, their true intentions, and a wickedly exciting twist to the circumstances that bring these characters to Neverland. I was ultimately on the edge of my seat from beginning to end, and overwhelmingly satisfied with Unhooked. It's a pity, however, that Lisa Maxwell's Unhooked is a standalone, I would have loved to see more of Rowan.

Romance, a roguish pirate, and a brand new Neverland are what readers can expect to find in Lisa Maxwell's Unhooked. Well-written, exciting, and utterly captivating!
 
Rating: 
4 / 5 Cupcakes



This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited with the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

6 comments

  1. Excellent review
    Love Peter Pan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't heard of Unhooked before. Sounds like an interesting twist to the original story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard very positive things about Unhooked. Thank you for taking the time to share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one has been on my radar for some time so I am very excited to pick it up once it releases! I love the idea that Peter Pan isn't quite as nice as he is made out to be and that Hook has the dreamy factor. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one Wendy!

    Jamie @ Books and Ladders

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely review! Makes me want to pick this one up that much more. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete