adult

Review: He Will Be My Ruin by K.A. Tucker

Friday, February 05, 2016Cupcake Queen

He Will Be My Ruin
by K.A. Tucker
Publisher: Atria Books
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 352
Release Date: February 2nd, 2016
Purchase: [Chapters/Indigo] [Amazon]
A woman who almost had it all . . .

On the surface, Celine Gonzalez had everything a twenty-eight-year-old woman could want: a one-bedroom apartment on Manhattan’s Lower East Side, a job that (mostly) paid the bills, and an acceptance letter to the prestigious Hollingsworth Institute of Art, where she would finally live out her dream of becoming an antiques appraiser for a major auction house. All she had worked so hard to achieve was finally within her reach. So why would she kill herself?

A man who was supposed to be her salvation . . .

Maggie Sparkes arrives in New York City to pack up what’s left of her best friend’s belongings after a suicide that has left everyone stunned. The police have deemed the evidence conclusive: Celine got into bed, downed a lethal cocktail of pills and vodka, and never woke up. But when Maggie discovers a scandalous photograph in a lock box hidden in Celine’s apartment, she begins asking questions. Questions about the man Celine fell in love with. The man she never told anyone about, not even Maggie. The man Celine believed would change her life.

Until he became her ruin.

On the hunt for evidence that will force the police to reopen the case, Maggie uncovers more than she bargained for about Celine’s private life—and inadvertently puts herself on the radar of a killer. A killer who will stop at nothing to keep his crimes undiscovered.
     


"It isn't until I'm three steps from the exit that I look up and notice the small white security camera above the front door."

He Will Be My Ruin is K.A. Tucker's first venture into the adult world of mysteries and thrillers. It was beyond anything I'd expected from K.A's next read, but it was deliciously addicting to the very last page. As a big fan of her Ten Tiny Breaths and Burying Water series, I was ecstatic when Simon & Schuster Canada surprised me with a copy of He Will Be My Ruin. Remarkably so, without knowing much of anything about K.A's latest before diving into it, I knew that she would not disappoint.

"I didn't need to drag the truth out of Rose. Celine's computer just gave it all to me."

He Will Be My Ruin by K.A. Tucker is the perfect mystery/thriller for the reader who begs for more than just a murder-mystery. K.A.'s characters (Maggie, Grady, and Jace) were phenomenal, realistic, and utterly captivating. Each chapter pulled me further into the intense and emotional mess that protagonist Maggie was dealing with, and I couldn't resist completely devouring He Will Be My Ruin in one solid sitting.

Fans of K.A. Tucker will adore He Will Be My Ruin. A delicious mystery, captivating characters, and a tale that will keep you on your toes to the very end.


Rating: 
4.5 / 5 Cupcakes



This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited with the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. First time coming across this new and mysterious book by K.A Tucker. I love her New Adult books, so curious about how these read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent review, Cupcake Queen!

    Like the above commenter mentioned, I hadn't heard of He Will Be My Ruin until you posted about it on Instagram a few weeks ago. I love mysteries, so here's hoping I can get my hands on this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally have never read a KA Tucker book prior to reading your review.
    I might just give her a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard quite a bit about K.A. Tucker, and I have one of her books sitting on my shelf, but I still haven't picked it up. I feel like I really need to get into her books, they sound so interesting! And I love that she is taking a different approach with this book...

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Instagram

Contact Form