youngadult

Review: These Vicious Masks by Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas

Friday, February 12, 2016Cupcake Queen

These Vicious Masks
by Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas
Publisher: Swoon Reads
Format: Paperback
Pages: 320
Release Date: February 9th, 2016
Purchase: [Chapters/Indigo] [Amazon]
Jane Austen meets X-­Men in this gripping and adventure-­filled paranormal romance set in Victorian London.

England, 1882. Evelyn is bored with society and its expectations. So when her beloved sister, Rose, mysteriously vanishes, she ignores her parents and travels to London to find her, accompanied by the dashing Mr. Kent. But they’re not the only ones looking for Rose. The reclusive, young gentleman Sebastian Braddock is also searching for her, claiming that both sisters have special healing powers. Evelyn is convinced that Sebastian must be mad, until she discovers that his strange tales of extraordinary people are true—and that her sister is in graver danger than she feared.
     


These Vicious Masks by Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas wasn't a book I came across (or was informed of) until Raincoast Books' 2016 YA preview event. It was one of the first titles to capture my interest immediately, and it's Jane Austen meets X-Men synopsis intrigued me. I was eager to read this immediately!

“You've come all the way from London just for a joke, then?" I asked. "I guess I shouldn't be surprised."

These Vicious Masks opened wonderfully, instantaneously and effortlessly pulling me into 1880's England. Evelyn was a phenomenal character - diverse, intelligent, and irrevocably true to herself. Furthermore, the romance, suspense, and surprisingly intense action in These Vicious Masks was completely enthralling. The twists and turns Tarun and Kelly dished out in their debut has made me an instant fan with a deep desire to read Vicious' companion novel!

"A hand appeared out of the shadows and clamped over her mouth. And she vanished.” 

Reader's beware: once you get into These Vicious Masks, your life will cease to exist. You'll want to hide out in your cozy reading spot to the very last page. The romance, the twists, and the characters will easily hook you!


Rating: 
4.5 / 5 Cupcakes




This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited with the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Now this sounds like my kind of book
    Thank you for reviewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phenomenal review and simply put. I'm looking forward to adding this to my bookshelf soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought These Vicious Masks was a great book. I spotted it on your Fresh on the Shelf post for February and was curious about it based on the cover. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED IT TOO! Wendy, I thought TVM was a great and completely underrated book. More people need to talk about this one.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Contact Form