Wednesday, 2 March 2016

A Gathering of Shadows Blog Tour - Review + Q/A


Happy Wednesday, Cupcakes!

Today the A Gathering of Shadows blog tour is making a stop here at A Cupcake and a Latte (woohoo, super exciting! And have you seen the character tournament cards?! *faints*) Anyone else pumped for the second installment in this phenomenal series?

Today, as part of the tour, I'll be including my glowing review on A Gathering of Shadows and will be including a Q/A with author V.E. Schwab on the series. Thank you Raincoast books for organizing this fun blog tour!


 -----


A Gathering of Shadows
by V.E. Schwabb
Publisher: TOR
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 336
Release Date: February 23rd, 2016
Purchase: [Chapters/Indigo] [Amazon]
Four months have passed since the shadow stone fell into Kell’s possession. Four months since his path crossed with Delilah Bard. Four months since Rhy was wounded and the Dane twins fell, and the stone was cast with Holland’s dying body through the rift, and into Black London.

In many ways, things have almost returned to normal, though Rhy is more sober, and Kell is now plagued by his guilt. Restless, and having given up smuggling, Kell is visited by dreams of ominous magical events, waking only to think of Lila, who disappeared from the docks like she always meant to do. As Red London finalizes preparations for the Element Games—an extravagant international competition of magic, meant to entertain and keep healthy the ties between neighboring countries—a certain pirate ship draws closer, carrying old friends back into port.

But while Red London is caught up in the pageantry and thrills of the Games, another London is coming back to life, and those who were thought to be forever gone have returned. After all, a shadow that was gone in the night reappears in the morning, and so it seems Black London has risen again—meaning that another London must fall.



How does one sing the praises of the V.E. Schwab's latest installment in the Shades of Magic series while also being completely spoiler free? It's difficult, yes, but not impossible.

"Rhy stood on the uppermost balcony of the palace and watched the forces assemble. The cold air bit at this cheeks and tugged on his half cloak, catching it up like a golden flag behind him."

V.E. Schwab is an author I've highly recommended since the release of her debut, The Near Witch, published under the name Victoria Schwab. I instantly noticed how vivid and fluid her writing was, and relished in the strength of her ability to create a flexible and flowing world . With the release of A Gathering of Shadows, this is also true. Fans of V.E. Schwab's A Darker Shade of Magic are thrust again into a world of parallel Londons, blood mages, and treachery. V.E. Schwab continues from where we left off with Lila and Kell, and there's drama, tears, chaos, and so much more. I was on the edge of my seat from beginning to end and cannot wait for more in the Shades of Magic series. The only question is now - when do we get book three?!

"Lila had lost her mind. That was the only explanation."

If you're going to only ever read ONE fantasy series, please let it be the Shades of Magic series by V.E. Schwab. Everything you've ever needed from a fantasy series is present in these pages, and you'll find yourself staying up throughout the night just to discover what happens next.


Rating: 
5 / 5 Cupcakes


This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited without the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.


-----


Q/A with author V.E. Schwab

Q:What inspired you most when writing A Darker Shade of Magic and A Gathering of Shadows?

A: When I’m writing a world, I turn into a creative black hole, drawing in everything from music and movies to art and books. I consumed Halsey and Lana del Rey and Florence. I scoured the internet for pictures that had the same feel, if not the content, of my world. I went to London and spent several days wandering the parks and side streets, charting my characters’ courses. I looked at fashion shows with Russian, Turkish, Norwegian styles. I was a sponge, not for history, but for the tone of the fantasy I wanted to write.

And then, I remember when I’d just started working on AGOS, I started reading Brandon Sanderson’s Way of Kings series, and I was struck by the fact that, after 1,000 pages, I still wasn’t ready to let go, not because of the plot (I’m not sure I could recount it to you) but because of the characters. That was a formative realization while writing AGOS, because I gave myself permission to slow down, to focus on the characters in my world. AGOS isn’t nearly as plot-driven as ADSOM, but my hope is that by the last page, you won’t be ready to let the people go.



Once again, a big thank you to Raincoast Books and V.E. Schwab for this fun blog tour! Be sure to follow the blog tour for more fun Q/As.


6 comments

  1. Great Q&A and review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing the blog tours you participate in. A Gathering of Shadows, or rather the entire series sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great question you asked VE Schwab about the series
    I can't wait to finally read this

    ReplyDelete
  4. I continously hear amazing things about this woman's books. I have This Savage Song which I am looking forward to trying after hearing such positive things about the rest of the her books. I am going to read them all though ^.^

    My recent review: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2016/03/a-study-in-charlotte-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katherine Pinacho2 March 2016 at 11:14

    I love love love love love this series with all my heart!!!!! I recommended it to everyone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy you should apply to be an official spokesperson for this book. I have been converted.

    ReplyDelete