Monday, 21 March 2016

Recap: Toronto Comicon 2016


Honestly, Cupcakes, I truly cannot recall the last time I attended Toronto Comicon. Four, Five years, perhaps? The con has never quite appealed to me, my personal preference being Fan Expo,  but this year's announcement of the Sailor Moon cast panel beckoned me to attend.

(Pictured from left to right: Ghostbuster's Ecto-1, Daleks and Dr.Evil and Doctor Who, and Tuxedo Mask plush.)

Getting to the con was easy enough. Having no knowledge of where the booths for ticket purchases were being held , we (fiance and I) ventured over to the south building where I correctly assumed the con would be taking place. Finding the ticket booth, however, proved to be quite the challenge. Upon entering the building, there was chaos everywhere, where lineups or barricades were being hopped and I wondered to myself whether or not I'd ever find the ticketing area. At one point I felt like I'd mistakenly entered the premises and somehow bypassed ticket check. I have to admit, Cupcakes, the entire organization of the event was strange and completely different from what I'm accustomed. For example, in Fan Expo, one cannot enter the premises AT ALL without a ticket (wristband, pass, etc). In the case of Comicon, one could enter, walk around, and as I witnessed with many cases, enter the marketplace and panels without even being checked.

(Pictured from left to right: Wanda Wilson aka Lady Dead Pool (?), Angewoman from Digimon, and Pyramid Head and Nurse from Silent Hill.)

Thankfully, we eventually located the ticketing area located in one of the halls on the lower level of the south building. After what took about half an hour (really, there were 10 people ahead of me, no idea why it took so long), and wristbands on, we were prepared to finally get a taste of what Toronto Comicon had to offer this year. After running into friends Jackie and Andrea of Simon & Schuster Canada, Chandra, Michele and Paper Droids entertainment editor Elissa, we mosied our way over to the marketplace which, at the time, was ridiculously crowded. I think we made it about halfway through the furthermost right row when we finally gave up and decided to enjoy the outer booths. As we did so, we found Chandra at a neat activity table where guests could create their own Deadpool plushes. Admittedly, I'm DREADFUL at sewing and even worse at "speed sewing", if that's even a thing. Below are examples of my Deadpool plush and the fiance's. Clearly he's the better and more patient sewer between the two of us.

(Pictured from left to right: Thor cosplayers and our Dead Pool plushes.)

Only a few steps away was room 801, where we discovered most of the weekend's panels (and the Sailor Moon panel) had been taking place. Lining up early for the panel was a great idea, considering that a mere 20 minutes later the lineup for the panel was spanning over 8 rows that surrounded the booths on the floor. Remember when I mentioned earlier that people were line hopping everywhere?  I wasn't surprised to see it happen for the Sailor Moon panel. Quite a few people from the very last row sneaked in through one of the doors before Comicon volunteers noticed they were sneaking in. 

(Pictured from left to right: Sailor Moon voice actors Linda Ballantyne (Serena/Sailor Moon), Susan Roman (Lita/ Sailor Jupiter), Toby Proctor (Darien/Tuxedo Mask), Jill Frappier (Luna), and Ron Rubin (Artemis).)

When we finally claimed our seats (woohoo, 5th row!), I was eagerly anticipating the panel. If you've read my Fangirl Meltdown post on Sailor Moon, you'll know that this show was pretty much everything to me as a kid. Although at the time I wasn't quite as familiar with the original Japanese version of the series as I am now, the english dub version (and their newer names) was pretty much all I watched (in addition to Inuyasha, Escaflowne, and DBZ). As the Sailor Moon panel began, the cast made their way onto the stage and introduced themselves with a hilarious roll call. Joining us from the Sailor Moon cast were voice actors Linda Ballantyne (Serena/Sailor Moon), Susan Roman (Lita/ Sailor Jupiter), Toby Proctor (Darien/Tuxedo Mask), Jill Frappier (Luna), and Ron Rubin (Artemis). During the fun Q/A with con attendees, I was amazed to hear that the voice actors still sounded exactly as I remembered. Sigh ... memories! All in all, it was a wonderful panel where the cast answered some great audience questions and even touched base on how revolutionary the female-empowering show truly was at the time. 

(Pictured above: Toronto Comicon goodies.)

After the panel, and knowing that the room would soon be filling up with attendees excited to see Robbie Amell, we finally decided that this would be our chance to enter the chaos-free marketplace. No kidding, Cupcakes, the marketplace was practically deserted and we were able to freely move from booth to booth and browse/purchase to our heart's content. In the marketplace I purchased an Arpakasso Alpacasso Alpaca Plush (Barrista with an Open sign, so cute!), a Totoro Plush, a Tuxedo Mask Plush, a Sailor Moon Crystal Star Brooch Pocket Watch Necklace, and a Harry Potter "ALWAYS" Laptop Decal. Considering I was expecting to purchase absolutely nothing, I was surprised with all my purchases. I'm still not quite sure what the fad is for the adorable Alpaca plushes, if anyone is willing to fill me in that would be lovely, but honestly I absolutely could not resist his adorable plushy face.

Overall, despite the chaos, I found this year's visit to Toronto Comicon to be a success. I'm not sure if I'll attend next Comicon, it'll likely depend on whether or not there's a panel I'll really want to attend. As to whether or not I'll attend this year's Fan Expo? Would never miss it!

5 comments

  1. Wonderful to hear you had such a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to attend Comicon and Fanexpo but I'm always intimidated by how many things are happening all at once. How do people do it? I might go to Fanexpo too. That Angewoman costume was amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Sailor Moon as a kid. This panel would have been great for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too felt it was a little everywhere
    It took me a while to find the ticket area too
    I know it was all mainly one level but everything about it was confusing.
    I'm also a first time comic con goer so it wasn't the best experience

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Sailor Moon pocket watch is glorious!

    ReplyDelete