Friday, 11 March 2016

Review: Dear Emma by Katie Heaney

Dear Emma
by Katie Heaney
Publisher:  Grand Central Publishing
Format: Paperback
Pages: 432
Release Date:March 1st, 2016
Purchase: [Chapters/Indigo] [Amazon]
Harriet, the author of her college newspaper's pseudonymous student advice column "Dear Emma," is great at telling others what to do, dispensing wisdom for the lovelorn and lonely on her Midwestern campus. Somehow, though, she can't take her own advice, especially after Keith, the guy she's dating, blows her off completely. When Harriet discovers that Keith has started seeing the beautiful and intimidating Remy, she wants to hate her. But she can't help warming to Remy, who soon writes to "Dear Emma" asking for romantic advice.

Now Harriet has the perfect opportunity to take revenge on the person who broke her heart. But as she begins to doubt her own motivations and presumably faultless guidance, she's forced to question how much she really knows about love, friendship and well-meaning advice.




Katie Heaney's Dear Emma was an instant must-read for yours truly after coming across it's synopsis via Goodreads. Having had a very similar Dear Abby column in my high school paper, I was interested to read a tale from the columnist's perspective.

"I guess what I'm wondering is: is he dead?"

I absolutely adored Harriet! Although quite the unusual character, meaning I can't recall enjoying a similar character's perspective and personality before, Harriet was a refreshingly flawed human being. Furthermore, Katie Heaney's writing (which frequently transfers from column to Harriet's perspective) was fluid and made Dear Emma a breezy and overall enjoyable read. It was a reminiscent read that pulled me in instantly, emotionally moved me, and had me cheering for it's protagonist from beginning to end.

"I was good at starting an argument; it was possible I was less great at allowing them to end."

Cute, thoughtful, and enjoyable, Dear Emma by Katie Heaney is the perfect book for column lovers.


Rating: 
4 / 5 Cupcakes


This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited with the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

3 comments

  1. Thank you as always for sharing your reviews!

    I hadn't heard of Dear Emma prior to today's post, however I like the sound of a columnist who isn't exactly as great at taking her own advice as she is giving it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of Dear Emma - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the excellent recommendation, Wendy. I pray you've had a great March so far!

    ReplyDelete