youngadult

Review: Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton

Tuesday, March 22, 2016Cupcake Queen

Rebel of the Sands
by Alwyn Hamilton
Publisher: Viking Books for Young Readers
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 314
Release Date: March 8th, 2016
Purchase: [Amazon] [Chapters/Indigo]
Mortals rule the desert nation of Miraji, but mythical beasts still roam the wild and remote areas, and rumor has it that somewhere, djinn still perform their magic. For humans, it’s an unforgiving place, especially if you’re poor, orphaned, or female.

Amani Al’Hiza is all three. She’s a gifted gunslinger with perfect aim, but she can’t shoot her way out of Dustwalk, the back-country town where she’s destined to wind up wed or dead.

Then she meets Jin, a rakish foreigner, in a shooting contest, and sees him as the perfect escape route. But though she’s spent years dreaming of leaving Dustwalk, she never imagined she’d gallop away on mythical horse—or that it would take a foreign fugitive to show her the heart of the desert she thought she knew.

Rebel of the Sands reveals what happens when a dream deferred explodes—in the fires of rebellion, of romantic passion, and the all-consuming inferno of a girl finally, at long last, embracing her power.
 


I promise to keep my praises for Rebel of the Sands short and sweet, Cupcakes. You know me, I detest long and rambly reviews, especially when it's for a book I love, because I'm absolutely terrified of spoiling a book for anyone. Even so, be prepared, because Alwyn Hamilton's Rebel of the Sands is my favorite fantasy title of the year!

“You know, I never believed in fate until I met you... then I started thinking coincidence didn't have near so cruel a sense of humor."

Rebel of the Sands is not your ordinary YA fantasy title. Alwyn's debut is rewarding, engaging, and bewitching. Taking place in a unique and vivid new world, I was absolutely in love with protagonist Amani's personality, strength, and fierceness. If you're looking for the ultimate female heroine, Amani is your gal. She was determined to write her own destiny and fight for what she believed in no matter the stakes. She was sensible, respectable, and completely inspiring - I loved her to pieces! As for Jin, he was quite the interesting character. I haven't read many male potential love interests quite like him, and I'm certain most readers will enjoy the breath of fresh air. As for the setting and world in Alwyn's Rebel of the Sands, I quite enjoyed the change of scenery and world development. I tend to find that most fantasy titles seem to all fall under the same molds, but I was pleased to find that Rebel of the Sands held a completely brand new experience for readers.

All in all, Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton was MAGNIFIQUE! I breezed through this title so quickly, that I desperately wished I'd already had book #2 ready for devouring. I'm certain that readers looking for a new fantasy title in the YA genre will fall in love with Alwyn's world and with Amani.



Rating: 
5 / 5 Cupcakes


This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited with the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Katherine Pinacho22 March 2016 at 10:08

    Wonderful review! I'm very excited to read Rebel of the Sands now! I'm totes buying the ebook asap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Rebel of the Sands, as well. So unique, just like you said! Well written review, Cupcake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shailene Carson22 March 2016 at 10:36

    Thoughtful review for a brand new book on my TBR pile. The summary makes Rebel sounds very good and your review has me curious to read it. Thanks for sharing it with us today.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Contact Form