Monday, 28 March 2016

Tell the Wind and Fire Blog Tour: Review + Q/A


Today, I'm proud to be one of the first stops on the Tell the Wind and Fire blog tour, promoting Sarah Rees Brennan's latest release! As a part of the blog tour, today I'll be featuring my review on Tell the Wind and Fire, and will also be featuring a Q/A with the author herself! Be sure to follow along for more reviews and fun questions.

I would also like to thank Raincoast Books for organizing this amazing tour, as well as Sarah Rees Brennan for participating in the Q/A!


Tell the Wind and Fire
by Sarah Rees Brennan
Publisher: Clarion Books
Format: Hardcover
Pages:368
Release Date: April 5th, 2016
Purchase: [Amazon] [Chapters/Indigo]
In a city divided between opulent luxury in the Light and fierce privations in the Dark, a determined young woman survives by guarding her secrets.

Lucie Manette was born in the Dark half of the city, but careful manipulations won her a home in the Light, celebrity status, and a rich, loving boyfriend. Now she just wants to keep her head down, but her boyfriend has a dark secret of his own—one involving an apparent stranger who is destitute and despised. Lucie alone knows the young men’s deadly connection, and even as the knowledge leads her to make a grave mistake, she can trust no one with the truth.

Blood and secrets alike spill out when revolution erupts. With both halves of the city burning, and mercy nowhere to be found, can Lucie save either boy—or herself?
 


Cupcakes, I'm a HUGE fan of Sarah Rees Brennan. The Demon's Lexicon, the Lynburn Legacy Trilogy, you name it, if Sarah's written it, I've pretty much devoured it. With that said, Tell the Wind and Fire was an absolute must for yours truly. Pitched as a Tale of Two Cities retelling with a dystopian twist, I couldn't resist diving into this title the very night it arrived on my door step. Needless to say, the lack of sleep that night was not missed!

"It was the best of times until it was the worst of times."

Despite it's origins stemming from the Dickens classic "A Tale of Two Cities", Tell the Wind and Fire, although inspired by the tale, took quite a few liberties with the growth of it's characters and even included a few role-reversals. Sarah's protagonist Lucie was a stead-fast and determined protagonist who's perspective intrigued me as well as pulled me further into her world. In fact, I found that everything Sarah did with the title to be refreshing, bold, and a nice change to what I've read from her in the past. Moving on, there was quite a bit of information to absorb in the first few chapters of Tell the Wind and Fire. Some might say there was far too much to process when being introduced to Sarah's unique world, but I personally enjoyed the attention to detail, and tackled each chapter delicately and slowly until I felt completely submerged.

"The party had transformed in an instant into two packs: the hunters and the hunted."

Fans of Sarah Rees Brennan are certain to enjoy Tell the Wind and Fire. Intriguing, unique, and surprisingly political, readers are sure to read Tell the Wind and Fire over and over.



Rating: 
4 / 5 Cupcakes



Q/A with author Sarah Rees Brennan

Q. I absolutely loved the Demon's Lexicon trilogy, the Lynburn Legacy trilogy, Team Human,
and your contributions to the Bane Chronicles. Tell the Wind and Fire was an instant hit
for me, and I would love to know what inspired you most when writing this retelling of A
Tale of Two Cities?

A.  Thank you so much for the kind words, Wendy!
slips you a wink and a twenty
You’re the sweetest. Many things inspired me: the love for a city, the urban feel of swiftness and bright lights, the change in society that only comes at a cost, the love for a single other person and how that changes you. And the idea of a doppelganger, a being which has your face and whose coming might mean your death—and the thought of how the doppelganger might feel about it.

I think the thing that inspired me most was the idea of giving a girl a story, when in the original story she was very much acted upon, talked to and used as a prize in the narrative. I just wanted to wrap up the whole story as a present and gift it to her and say: Now. Now you get to act, and talk, and make mistakes. Now it’s yours.



This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited with the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

5 comments

  1. I think I've read a whole variety of reviews for Tell the Wind and Fire, both positive and negative. Your review is convincing and I feel I might give it the chance now. I know a lot of people had issues with the dumping of information, but I'm still interested to learn more about what exactly goes on in this retelling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun post! Thanks for everything, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT REVIEW!
    Like one of the commenters mentioned Ive seen a whole lot of positive and negative posts on this one over at the Gooderads listing. Im still placing it on my reading list though. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katherine Pinacho28 March 2016 at 10:25

    Gorgeous cover and wonderful review, Cupcake Queen! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also a big fan of Sarah's books!

    ReplyDelete