Friday, 8 April 2016

Review: The Glittering Court by Richelle Mead

THE GLITTERING COURT
by Richelle Mead
Publisher: Razorbill
Format:Hardcover
Pages: 400
Release Date: April 5th, 2016
Purchase: [Chapters/Indigo] [Amazon]
A dazzling new fantasy series set in a mix of Elizabethan and frontier worlds that’s dripping with romance from Richelle Mead, #1 internationally bestselling author of Vampire Academy.

Big and sweeping, spanning the refined palaces of Osfrid to the gold dust and untamed forests of Adoria, The Glittering Court tells the story of Adelaide, an Osfridian countess who poses as her servant to escape an arranged marriage and start a new life in Adoria, the New World. But to do that, she must join the Glittering Court.

Both a school and a business venture, the Glittering Court is designed to transform impoverished girls into upper-class ladies capable of arranging powerful and wealthy marriages in the New World. Adelaide naturally excels in her training and even makes a few friends: the fiery former laundress Tamsin and the beautiful Sirminican refugee Mira. She manages to keep her true identity hidden from all but one: the intriguing Cedric Thorn, son of the wealthy proprietor of the Glittering Court.

When Adelaide discovers that Cedric is hiding a dangerous secret of his own, together, they hatch a scheme to make the best of Adelaide’s deception. Complications soon arise—first, as they cross the treacherous seas from Osfrid to Adoria, and later, when Adelaide catches the attention of a powerful governor.

But no complication will prove quite as daunting as the potent attraction simmering between Adelaide and Cedric. An attraction that, if acted on, would scandalize the Glittering Court and make them both outcasts in wild, vastly uncharted lands. . . .
     



I've been a Richelle Mead fan for a very, very long time. Whether it's her young adult titles (like Vampire Academy, Bloodlines) or her adult titles (Georgia Kincaid, Dark Swan, Age of X), I've always felt like my bookshelves could never be complete without her titles. Needless to say, Richelle's The Glittering Court, her latest venture in the young adult genre, was an absolute must. Stunning cover and intriguing synopsis, it was a tale I couldn't resist diving into immediately.

"I wanted him to smile again or make a joke, and when he didn't, I broke away."

The Glittering Court follows the tale of Adelaide, an Osfridian Countess who leaves everything behind in order to escape an arranged marriage. Her next stop, though, is to the Glittering Court, where she'll be trained and schooled into an upper-class lady, whilst keeping her true identity a secret. As fate would have it, Cedric, the son of a wealthy proprietor of the Glittering Court, discovers her secret, and alas new complications arise for our heroine.

Harboring the same overall emotion and excitement of The Selection series by Keira Cass, I found The Glittering Court to be quite enjoyable and a welcome change from Richelle Mead's previous works. Adelaide, although not the most appealing character at first, grew on me at a steady pace, and I found myself cheering her on quite adamantly towards the end of the book. I was pleased with Richelle's displayed humor when writing Adelaide's funny mishaps and impersonations, and found myself enjoying the unique world she had created for this brand new series.

Overall, I found The Glittering Court to be quite an enjoyable read. It was filled with suspense, great dialogue and romance. Fans of Richelle Mead will be pleased with her latest release!

Rating: 
4 / 5 Cupcakes


This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited with the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

7 comments

  1. Excellent review
    It does sound like The Selection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bookish Willow8 April 2016 at 10:46

    I purchased my copy over the weekend, from your recommendation on Goodreads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katherine Pinacho8 April 2016 at 10:50

    Happy Friday, Wendy :)

    I wasn't a big fan of the Age of X books. They didn't feel like Richelle Mead books to me and I couldn't even get into them. I'm glad she's back to YA with The Glittering Court. Didn't like the Selection series a whole lot because America was dreadful, but I like the sound of Adelaide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very excited for The Glittering Court! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm interested in this book after reading your review. I have not read the Vampire Academy books either. Do you recommend them Wendy? I would like to know. Many of my friends have read it and love it but I'm not a big reader of vampires. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely do recommend the Vampire Academy series!
      The heroine was fierce and the story was on point. It's a series you absolutely MUST check out!

      Delete