youngadult

Review: Until Friday Night by Abbi Glines

Monday, May 23, 2016Cupcake Queen




Until Friday Night
By Abbi Glines
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 336
Release Date: August 25th, 2015
Purchase: [Chapters/Indigo] [Amazon]
To everyone who knows him, West Ashby has always been that guy: the cocky, popular, way-too-handsome-for-his-own-good football god who led Lawton High to the state championships. But while West may be Big Man on Campus on the outside, on the inside he’s battling the grief that comes with watching his father slowly die of cancer.

Two years ago, Maggie Carleton’s life fell apart when her father murdered her mother. And after she told the police what happened, she stopped speaking and hasn’t spoken since. Even the move to Lawton, Alabama, couldn’t draw Maggie back out. So she stayed quiet, keeping her sorrow and her fractured heart hidden away.

As West’s pain becomes too much to handle, he knows he needs to talk to someone about his father—so in the dark shadows of a post-game party, he opens up to the one girl who he knows won’t tell anyone else.

West expected that talking about his dad would bring some relief, or at least a flood of emotions he couldn’t control. But he never expected the quiet new girl to reply, to reveal a pain even deeper than his own—or for them to form a connection so strong that he couldn’t ever let her go…
     


I feel like the absolute WORST Abbi Glines fan ever...EVER! I regrettably had only just recently picked up Until Friday Night, thanks to the generosity of Simon & Schuster Canada (thank you!) because I, admittedly, am the most forgetful book nerd to ever visit a bookstore. For whatever reason, during every visit to a bookstore I made since it's initial August 2015 release, I would continuously forget to pick it up. Bad, I know, but oh so worth it when I finally had the opportunity to dive into it's world!

“My throat tightened, and I punched the steering wheel several times, trying to release some of my pain."

Fans of Abbi Glines know what to expect: a fierce female lead, a sexy male love interest, a gripping plot, and a lot of steam (wink,wink). Until Friday Night, the first installment in the Field Party series, is the perfect dose of realism and heart in this book perfect for readers who loved Friday Night Lights. Maggie and West were positively adorable! Two very different characters dealing with their own set of issues, the duo worked perfectly together. I enjoyed their banter, their tear-jerking moments, and their moments of realization and clarity. I've always enjoyed how Abbi Glines creates characters that seemingly appear perfect on the outside, but almost always have a deeper darker tale waiting to be discovered. It's always been a thrill and I am highly anticipating the next installment in the series, Under the Lights (August 2016).

"He was on the bed, pulling me into his arms, before the sobbing started."

Fans of Abbi Glines will without a doubt fall head over heels for Maggie and West! A perfect combination of romance and realism, I highly recommend Until Friday Night be added to your summer reading list ASAP.




Rating: 
5 / 5 Cupcakes



This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited with the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Bookish Willow23 May 2016 at 10:12

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore all of Abbi Glines' books! I don't blame you for having a tough time remembering to pick this one up. It was one of those releases I almost forgot, too. I'm glad you finally had the chance to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sportsy/romantic books! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG. I. NEED. THIS. BOOK. RIGHTNOW!
    I've never read a book by Abbi Glines, but I've had my eyes on Until Friday Night for a while now and after reading your review, I'm even more excited to get my hands on it! (that is, after I get my TBR under control)
    What first grabbed my attention was the way murder was casually slipped in the synopsis (and well, obviously the book too!) It's rare to see YA authors, contemporary authors to be more precise, write about murder, but the vibe I get from the synopsis tells me that while it's a major key element of the book, it doesn't over power everything else. Basically, I'm trying to say that the story seems to be very well written!
    I will definitely pick up this book this summer! Lovely Review!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Contact Form