adult

Review: Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

Thursday, July 28, 2016Cupcake Queen



Dark Matter
by Blake Crouch
Publisher: Crown
Format:Hardcover
Release Date:July 26th, 2016
Purchase: [Amazon] [Chapters/Indigo]
“Are you happy with your life?” Those are the last words Jason Dessen hears before the masked abductor knocks him unconscious. Before he awakens to find himself strapped to a gurney, surrounded by strangers in hazmat suits. Before a man Jason’s never met smiles down at him and says, “Welcome back, my friend.”

In this world he’s woken up to, Jason’s life is not the one he knows. His wife is not his wife. His son was never born. And Jason is not an ordinary college physics professor but a celebrated genius who has achieved something remarkable--something impossible.

Is it this world or the other that’s the dream? And even if the home he remembers is real, how can Jason possibly make it back to the family he loves? The answers lie in a journey more wondrous and horrifying than anything he could’ve imagined—one that will force him to confront the darkest parts of himself even as he battles a terrifying, seemingly unbeatable foe.
     



This book was AMAZING! No kidding, I loved it to pieces and it messed with my mind in the most epic of ways. Reviewing Dark Matter by Blake Crouch is going to be a hard one to review/comment on because of potential spoilery ickyness, however I'll do my best to tell you about the awesome that was Dark Matter.

“We're all just wandering through the tundra of our existence, assigning value to worthlessness, when all that we love and hate, all we believe in and fight for and kill for and die for is as meaningless as images projected onto Plexiglass.”

Slightly reminiscent (in my opinion) to Wayward Pines, the television show, Dark Matter dropped me into a world of the unknown. I was in the shoes of Jason, a seemingly average joe with a happy life. Suddenly he's kidnapped by gunpoint, knocked out, and later wakes to a world and setting completely unknown to him. His life before seems like a dream, and some seriously creepy and mysterious things are revealed slowly throughout the title. To put it simply, Dark Matter is a title that is not only filled with scientific goodness, but also dabbles quite a bit on keeping the reader in the dark only to suddenly spring a juciey twist when you least expect it. The reason why I compare it to Wayward Pines is because it gave me that same "OMG, what is happening? What is this place?!" vibe as the time I watched the first few episodes of season one. Dark Matter had me hooked not only because of the mystery/thriller factor that is present immediately from page one, but also because Blake Crouch had an epic way of just giving the reader what they wanted - an entertaining thriller.

Readers who enjoy dabbling in the unknown and enjoy a good sci-fi thriller every now and then are highly recommended Dark Matter. I think it's the perfect read for your next book club meetup!



Rating: 
5 / 5 Cupcakes




This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited with the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Simply Captivated Booknerd28 July 2016 at 15:37

    Wendy, it was a pleasure to hear your excitement about Dark Matter. I have a question: is this connected to the show of the similar name? Also enjoyed Wayward Pines myself and see myself reading this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bookish Willow28 July 2016 at 21:05

    Excellent review Cupcake Queen! I love how passionate you are about Dark Matter and hope to pick it up asap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh great review I absolutely love sci-fi thriller and this one looks and sounds totally fantastic! Thank you for your awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not usually one to go for mystery thrillers but I've gotta say this book sounds phenomenal! The concept is so dark and eerie that I'm itching to find out more! The creepiness, mysteriousness, the juicy twist all have me very intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting book! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like I'm having deja vu reading the synopsis for this intriguing story but I can't for the life of me figure out why... Anyways, Dark Matter sounds like an absolute thrill ride that I'm eager to get my hands on! I'm so happy that this actually turned out to be as great as it sounds! I love twists, I love mysteries and I love to be kept on the edge of my seat so I really can't wait to read this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I'm not wrong, Blake Crouch actually wrote the Wayward Pines trilogy :)
    It's not the kind of book and genre I normally go for, but after reading tons of great reviews and hearing so many people raving about it, I just had to buy it - I don't think I'll ever own another book as red as this one ahahaha It's been in my TBR for quite some time, I'm just looking for the right time to read it, as I'm not 'ready' for such a mind-bending story. Still, I'm pretty sure it'll surprise me =D Great review, Wendy, and so happy you enjoyed reading it!! ♥

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Instagram

Contact Form