nonfiction

Review: It Gets Worse - A Collection of Essays by Shane Dawson

Friday, July 22, 2016Cupcake Queen



It Gets Worse: A Collection of Essays
by Shane Dawson
Publisher: Atria/Keyword Press
Format:Paperback
Release Date:July 19th, 2016
Purchase: [Amazon] [Chapters/Indigo]
In this new collection of original personal essays, Shane goes even deeper, sharing never-before-revealed stories from his life, giving readers a no-holds-barred look at moments both bizarre and relatable, from cult-like Christian after-school activities, dressing in drag, and losing his virginity, to hiring a psychic, clashes with celebrities, and coming to terms with his bisexuality. Every step of the way, Shane maintains his signature brand of humor, proving that even the toughest breaks can be funny when you learn to laugh at yourself.

This is Let's Pretend This Never Happened and Running With Scissors for the millennial generation: an inspiring, intelligent, and brutally honest collection of true stories by a YouTube sensation-turned one of the freshest new voices out there.
     



I LOVE YOUTUBERS!

If you've read any of my Youtuber-based book reviews in the past, you'll know that watching my favourite Youtubers is part of my daily routine. After a long day at work, I like to come home, and spend a few minutes watching game plays by Markiplier, checking out Charles Trippy (We The Kings) while he's on tour, and even watch one of Shane Dawson's latest hilarious skits/videos. He's real and true to himself, and ridiculously funny, and that's one of the things that not only drew me to his channel, but also to his latest book, It Gets Worse: A Collection of Essays.

“If you're passionate about something, give it your all, and you will find happiness.”

Very different from I Hate My Selfie, Shane's previous book, It Gets Worse is a better look at his true character and inner-most thoughts. It's Shane Dawson as you've never seen him before, tales that you might have heard him briefly mention in videos, but also a lot of stories, life-style changes, and challenges you'd never expect him to touch base on. It was an emotional read, for the most part, and completely changed the way I view him. Sure, he's the funny guy from Youtube, but it also reflects that this individual, who just so happens to be Youtube famous, has also had to deal with a lot of struggles on his way to the top. It was quite the inspiring read! I'd personally love to hear more from Shane Dawson, possibly in another book more similar to I Hate My Selfie.

“Now this isn't meant to make anyone feel like college is a waste of time, because for so many people it's not. But don't go because you feel like you have to. If your heart isn't in it, then why spend four years of your life stuck somewhere you don't want to be?”

Fans of Youtube and Shane Dawson absolutely MUST read It Gets Worse! PS. I'm still waiting on those books by Charles (CTFxC) and Markiplier *wink wink*


Rating: 
4 / 5 Cupcakes



This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited with the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I haven't watched anything by Shane Dawson in a very long time. However I'm inspired to check out this book and the other one you mentioned. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I too enjoy youtuber books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bookish Willow22 July 2016 at 10:25

    I'm pleased to read you and I enjoy the same youtube superstars. I'd love to see books from them because there's so much behind the scene stuff I'd like to know about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not usually one to watch Youtube personalities and so I've never heard of Shane Dawson before but I'm glad you enjoyed his novel! I've come across books that were written by Youtube stars before and well let's just say the reviews indicate they should stick to their day job but it's great that this one seems like an exception!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a fascinating read! I'm always intrigued by Youtube stars' biographies and they've definitely becoming more popular these days. Shane Dawson isn't someone I would watch religiously but I am aware of who he is and his book sounds interesting so I might give it a read. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Contact Form