Tuesday, 12 July 2016

Review: The Taming of the Drew by Stephanie Kate Strohm



The Taming of the Drew
by Stephanie Kate Strohm
Publisher: Sky Pony Press
Format:Hardcover
Release Date:April 12th, 2016
Purchase: [Amazon] [Chapters/Indigo]
Cass McKay has been called stubborn, temperamental, difficult, and that word that rhymes with “witch” more times than she cares to count. But that’s all about to pay off. She has finally landed the role she was born to play—Kate, in The Taming of the Shrew—in the summer apprentice program of a renowned Shakespeare theater company in the forests of Vermont.

But Cass can barely lace up her corset before her troubles begin. Her leading man, Drew, is a complete troll, and he’s going to ruin Cass’s summer. Even worse, Cass’s bunkmate Amy has somehow fallen head over heels for Drew. Cass can’t let Amy throw herself at a total jerk, so she comes up with a genius plan to give Drew the personality makeover he so desperately needs: they’ll tame Drew just as Petruchio tames Kate! But as Shakespeare’s classic plays out offstage, Cass finds it harder and harder to resist falling for Drew herself.

The best kind of entertainment, The Taming of the Drew is smart, funny, fresh, and original. You’re going to love this badass heroine and her friends. You might even end up liking Drew, too.
     


When Thomas Allen & Son pitched the premise for The Taming of the Drew by Stephanie Kate Strohm, I was instantly sold. Having always loved unique spins on classics, I was shocked that I had missed coming across it through my various Goodreads searches. As a big fan of anything Shakespeare, whether it be an inspired new tale or a spin on a beloved classic, I knew Stephanie's latest would be a must-read.

"You've never used a sword before? Really?"
"I can do a mean forward roll,"

The Taming of the Drew was a perfect summer read! The protagonist, Cass, was spunky, bright, outspoken, and everything I wanted in a female lead. She brought an enriching sense of life to the story, and I couldn't help feeling like I was being pulled deeper and deeper into her dialogue. Drew, whom initially came across as a tool in the beginning of the book, became a character who, thankfully, grew on me. Furthermore, I loved the romantic tension between Cass and Drew, and although I already had a good idea of how the tale would develop, I couldn't resist finishing it completely in one sitting. It was a swoon-worthy and deliciously romantic tale I am positive I will read again and again in the years to come.

"Boldness, be my friend, indeed."

Highly recommended for younger readers, The Taming of the Drew by Stephanie Kate Strohm was a deliciously addicting summer tale. Inspired by William Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew, with a twist, I found it to be exceptionally well-written, entertaining, and addicting. Bravo!


Rating: 
5 / 5 Cupcakes



This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited with the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

8 comments

  1. I am so interested in picking this one up! Thanks for the review :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bookish Willow12 July 2016 at 11:57

    I enjoy a good retelling every now and again ;) Onto my TBR pile it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimberly Pinacho12 July 2016 at 12:11

    Wonderful Review

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sound so so good, Wendy! I'm thrilled to read you enjoyed it so much. I'll stay tuned for more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe I haven't come across this one before! To see that it's a re-telling of the famous The Taming Of The Shrew and for it to not be popping up everywhere is beyond me but I'm so glad I found your review of it today. The synopsis sounds exciting and the characters sound like they'd be a joy to read about. The romance I can tell will be swoony - just how I like it and I hope that theres some great friendship moments in there too! Awesome review!!

    ReplyDelete