youngadult

Review: Tone Deaf by Olivia Rivers

Monday, July 18, 2016Cupcake Queen



Tone Deaf
by Olivia Rivers
Publisher: Sky Pony Press
Format:Hardcover
Release Date:May 3rd, 2016
Purchase: [Amazon] [Chapters/Indigo]
His world is music. Her world is silent.

Ali Collins was a child prodigy destined to become one of the greatest musicians of the twenty-first century—until she was diagnosed with a life-changing brain tumor. Now, at seventeen, Ali lives in a soundless world where she gets by with American Sign Language and lip-reading. She’s a constant disappointment to her father, a retired cop fighting his own demons, and the bruises are getting harder to hide.

When Ali accidentally wins a backstage tour with the chart-topping band Tone Deaf, she’s swept back into the world of music. Jace Beckett, the nineteen-year-old lead singer of the band, has a reputation. He’s a jerk and a player, and Ali wants nothing to do with him. But there’s more to Jace than the tabloids let on. When Jace notices Ali’s bruises and offers to help her escape to New York, Ali can’t turn down the chance at freedom and a fresh start. Soon she’s traveling cross-country, hidden away in Jace’s RV as the band finishes their nationwide tour. With the help of Jace, Ali sets out to reboot her life and rediscover the music she once loved.
     


Tone Deaf by Olivia Rivers was an instant must when Thomas Allen & Son pitched it to me, along with "The Taming of the Drew". I'm unashamed to admit that I instantly dove into it the moment it arrived at my door, and I happily toted it with me everywhere until completion. It was both addvice and thought-provoking, and left me wondering why more people weren't talking about it. Good thing for you, Cupcakes, I'm here to tell you how wonderful it was and why it's an absolute buy on your next trip to the bookstore.

"How do you expect me to trust you when you keep hiding stuff from me?"

My first thought upon completing Tone Deaf by Olivia Rivers was a simple, but deep with meaning, "wow!". It was then promptly followed by a, "why aren't more people talking about this book?!" First and foremost, Ali and Jace are SPECTACULAR characters! I instantly fell for Ali's dialogue and adored Jace's "rough around the edges" attitude. There was certainly more to both characters, and I adored seeing Jace and Ali overcome their personal struggles and share in each other's triumphs. It was positively heartwarming, thoughtful, and fulfilling to read.

"His heartbeat thuds against my chest, his breathing is warm against my cheek, and I can't help but to feel safer than ever before. "

Furthermore, I found Olivia Rivers' latest venture into the world of Young Adult literature to be incredibly well-written. Sadly, I've come across quite a bit of YA that's been poorly written and "dumbed down" (characters following suit, as well), however Olivia had a way of luring me in further into Ali's state of mind, her surroundings, her struggles, and her innermost thoughts, as well as Jace's I felt completely submerged into Tone Deaf and found it to be a complete joy to read. On a closing note, I strongly feel more teens (and adults) need to pick up this book. It talks about realistic pain and circumstances, and also features a lovable duo readers are certain to love. Don't let the cheese or fluff fool you, this is an excellent book and completely worth the 5 out of 5 cupcakes I'm awarding it!


Rating: 
5 / 5 Cupcakes



This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited with the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Vanessa Nessie Cameron18 July 2016 at 10:04

    Excellent choice of book to review :)
    I personally adore books like this and I'm so glad you posted about it. Thank you for sharing it and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for recommending it. I hope I can pick it up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting book and review
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bookish Willow18 July 2016 at 17:12

    The summary for Tone Deaf mildly reminds me of a book by Colleen Hoover, but I can't remember what it was called. Will definitely be planning to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was hesistant to pick this one up based on the fact I thout it was just another cheesy YA novel but your review has me really wanting to read it now! It sounds very well-written with fantastic characters and very heartwarming so I can't wait to check it out! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. While the synopsis did sound a little cheesy I couldn't help but still be drawn to the story and that beautiful cover! It's also good to hear that the characters in this story aren't dumbed down as you say because many YA novels depict 'those' kinds of characters and it gets so frustrating to read. I guess Ali being who she is and having to lived through her cancer and now being deaf you would expect a girl who is mature so she should be an interesting character to read about. I'm so glad you enjoyed it as much as I hope to!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one book that I truly want to read since I am deaf and there aren't that often you see a deaf character. I am excited to see you truly love this book. You are making me to buy it like NOW when I truly need to save money! HAHA! Maybe for my birthday since it is coming up in few weeks! <3

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Instagram

Contact Form