adult

Review: The Regulars by Georgia Clark

Tuesday, August 09, 2016Cupcake Queen



The Regulars
by Georgia Clarke
Publisher: Atria Books
Format:Hardcover
Release Date:August 2nd, 2016
Purchase: [Amazon] [Chapters/Indigo]
A fierce, feisty, and “wonderfully entertaining” (Scott Westerfeld, author of Uglies) debut with a magical twist about three ordinary, regular girls who suddenly have their fantasies come true…or do they?

Best friends Evie, Krista, and Willow are just trying to make it through their mid-twenties in New York. They’re regular girls, with average looks and typical quarter-life crises: making it up the corporate ladder, making sense of online dating, and making rent.

Until they come across Pretty, a magic tincture that makes them, well...gorgeous. Like, supermodel gorgeous. And it’s certainly not their fault if the sudden gift of beauty causes unexpected doors to open for them.

But there’s a dark side to Pretty, too, and as the gloss fades for these modern-day Cinderellas, there’s just one question left:

What would you sacrifice to be Pretty?
     


Georgia Clark's The Regulars is a title that came to me through multiple mentions and recommendations, one of which being from Simon & Schuster Canada. Upon reading the synopsis, I was instantly sold. I've always been a true lover of anything magical, especially when there's a hint of it in a modern-day contemporary title featuring young ladies close to my age. I couldn't wait to read this interesting take on a modern fairytale with an odd twist!

"Despite her mother's impassioned insistence to the contrary, Evie Selby had never thought of herself as beautiful."

Evie, Krista, and Willow felt like close friends - they read realistically and I felt their personalities, their quips with one another, and their adventures float right off the pages. In The Regulars, the girls are given the magical opportunity to be Pretty, and in this instant unexpected opportunities begin to fall into their laps, but the limelight doesn't last long when the girls begin to find trouble with the new gifts they've been given. The Regulars read like a fun and sexy read, whilst also focusing on society's overwhelming obsession with beauty standards. I enjoyed Georgia's underlying lesson beneath the writing, and loved the relationship she created between the trio. Furthermore, The Regulars was a breezy, well-written, summer blockbuster that I felt was the perfect high-note to end my long list of summer reading.

"I am a human being, like you. I have problems, like you."

A fantastic title through and through, I positively adored The Regulars by Georgia Clark. Perfect for contemporary readers over the age of 18, I highly recommend this otherworldly modern-day tale to anyone looking for a heart pounding read.



Rating: 
4 / 5 Cupcakes




This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited with the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this book everywhere but I never took the opportunity to actually learn what it's about. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like my kinda read! I love how the story focuses on these 3 girls, their friendships, lives and careers but with a twist of magic! The beauty concept is intriguing and I can just tell this will be an uplifting and message positive story for young women on the idea of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yaaayyy a female focused friendship read with magical elements AND it's well-written?!? SIGN ME UP! This book sounds soo good and I love the idea of getting what you wish for but it not being all that's cracked up to be because well welcome to my life! I hope to read this one soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am totally excite for this one and I'm so happy to see your positive review. I think many of us think all our problems would be solved if we were beautiful and I imagine this story is a good reminder that it wouldn't be all we hope for.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Contact Form