blogtour youngadult

Labyrinth Lost Blog Tour - Review + Q/A

Wednesday, September 14, 2016Cupcake Queen


I'm thrilled to be having the Labyrinth Lost blog tour stop by A Cupcake and a Latte! If you haven't picked up this title yet, I urge you to do so! Filled with magic, action, and an incredible female heroine, I'm positive readers of all ages will fall for Labyrinth Lost! Today as part of my tour stop, I'll be featuring my review on the title and an exclusive Q/A with author Zoraida Cordova. Be sure to follow along with the blog tour for more Q/A's with the author and for more buzz on Labyrinth Lost!
A big thank you to Raincoast Books for organizing the tour, and to Zoraida for doing the Q/A!


Labyrinth Lost
by Zoraida Cordova
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Format:Hardcover
Release Date:September 6th, 2016
Purchase: [Amazon] [Chapters/Indigo]
Nothing says Happy Birthday like summoning the spirits of your dead relatives.

Alex is a bruja, the most powerful witch in a generation...and she hates magic. At her Deathday celebration, Alex performs a spell to rid herself of her power. But it backfires. Her whole family vanishes into thin air, leaving her alone with Nova, a brujo boy she can't trust. A boy whose intentions are as dark as the strange marks on his skin.

The only way to get her family back is to travel with Nova to Los Lagos, a land in-between, as dark as Limbo and as strange as Wonderland...
     

Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Cordova, the first in her Brooklyn Brujas series, is a title I've eagerly anticipated for months! Having first come across it at this year's earlier Teens Read Preview Event hosted by Raincoast Books, I was immediately eager to dive into it. Having loved her Vicious Deep series early on, I was interested to read her tale of witches, magic, and a strong female heroine.

"Nova and I run through the maze. The hedges try to shift, try to trick me, but I barrel forward."

Labyrinth Lost was positively enchanting! Addictive and thrilling, I was immediately fond of protagonist Alex. She is , by far, one of the most fascinating characters I've ever read, and her deep love and commitment for her family melted my heart. One of the things that first called me to read Labyrinth Lost was it's diverse cast of characters, mythology, and the promise of a land as topsy-turvy as Lewis Carroll's Wonderland. In that aspect, Labyrinth's characters played a big part in my overall enjoyment of the title, and turned this enchantingly magical title into a heartfelt coming of age story. Furthermore, I found Alex's personal struggles, with not only herself but with her future as well, mirrored my own and made her relatable even more so. Additionally, the world of the brujas, which was inspired by Zoraida's research and knowledge of Latin American mythology, religion, and traditions, was vividly detailed I couldn't help completely falling into her world!

Overall, Labyrinth Lost, the first title in the Brooklyn Brujas series, was an absolute ride! Alex was amazing, Zoraida's world building was not only intricate but vivid, and the chase to get Alex's family back was a thrill from beginning to end. I highly recommend Zoraida's latest!


Rating: 
5 / 5 Cupcakes




Q/A with Labyrinth Lost author Zoraida Cordova


Q: Zoraida, I've read and LOVED your Vicious Deep series and I was positive I, too, would fall in love with Labyrinth Lost, your first novel in the Brooklyn Brujas series. It was a thrill to dive into this world of magic, featuring a fierce and inspiring heroine. The history and attention to detail I found page after page was highly addictive! My question is: How did you transition between writing a series featuring underwater mythology to one strongly inspired by ancient magic, summoning, and the Latin American culture? 


A:
It wasn’t a transition at all. Labyrinth Lost is urban fantasy, and takes place in a magical brooklyn. It’s the same Brooklyn as The Vicious Deep. My MCs in both books actually attend the same school because I wanted to link my universe. Like The Vicious Deep, Labyrinth Lost has a strong otherworld fantasy element. Though in Labyrinth Lost I spend more time in this other realm. Los Lagos has nothing to do with Latin America, really, except that the magical language is Spanish. I think that my first series and this one have a lot in common. The magic I’ve created in Labyrinth Lost co-exists with the one in The Vicious Deep. The most Latin thing in this books is the idea of family as identity, and the usage of Spanish and Spanish-like words to cast spells. I love having these books be a part of the same universe. Who knows? Perhaps there will be some crossover in future installments.


This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited with the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Excellent blog tour post, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review on Labyrinth Lost Cupcake Queen. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review,Labyrinth sounds great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad it got such an High review... I recently won it in a giveaway and I can't wait for it to get here. I love how books are becoming more and more diverse.
    Awesome review

    ReplyDelete
  5. I brought this book a couple of weeks ago after hearing awesome things about this book. It is the matter of finding time to actually sit with this book and read!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Instagram

Contact Form