event recap

Recap: Winter + Spring 2017 Teens Read Preview Event

Sunday, September 11, 2016Cupcake Queen


Quite possibly one of my favourite events to ever happen, the Teens Read Preview events held by Raincoast Books are always an incredibly fun occasion filled with bookish talk and goodies. On Saturday September 10th, Raincoast Books held their Winter and Spring 2017 preview event for their highly anticipated upcoming Young Adult and Middle Grade titles. Bloggers were invited to attend the event in person in Vancouver and Toronto, or through Google Hangout. Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, I had to attend the event via Google Hangout (work, gahhhhh!!)  I can't say I personally enjoyed being so far away from my fellow book bloggers, having attended every event in the past in person, but found the tweets from everyone to be very reassuring that I wasn't quite as alone as I initially felt.


After striking up some conversation via Twitter, I settled down with a tall latte, some delicious goodies (aka ALL the cupcakes), pulled out my preview catalog, and began to take note of every title that immediately caught my attention. To be fair, it was pretty much all of them, no kidding! Melissa, Fernanda, Michelle, Meagan and Brooke  presented their highly anticipated titles, pointing out some incredible key plot points, some neat facts, and some very high praises from early readers.


My Highly Anticipated Winter/Spring 2017 Titles:
Under the Rose-Tainted Skies by Louise Gornall
Windwitch by Susan Dennard
Freeks by Amanda Hocking
The X Files Origins: Agent of Chaos by Kami Garcia
The X Files Origins: Devil's Advocate by Jonathan Maberry
Wires and Nerve by Marissa Meyer, illustrated by Douglas Holgate
Caraval by Stephanie Garber
The Edge of Everything by Jeff Giles
The Sky Between You and Me by Catherine Alene
To Catch a Killer by Sheryl Scarborough
The Inexplicable Logic of My Life by Benjamin Alire Saenz
Piper Perish by Kayla Cagan
The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco
The Song Rising by Samantha Shannon
A Crown of Wishes by Roshani Chokshi
But Then I Came Back by Estelle Laure
Definitions of Indefinable Things by Whitney Taylor
True North by L.E. Sterling
A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab
Duels & Deception by Cindy Anstey
A Court of Thorns and Roses #3 (untitled) by Sarah J. Maas




Other Winter/Spring 2017 Titles:
Perfect by Cecelia Ahern
Genius: The Con by Leopoldo Gout
Spill Zone by Scott Westerfeld, illustrated by Alex Puvilland
The Unbreakable Code by Jennifer Chambliss Bertman
The Playbook by Kwame Alexander
The Doll's Eye by Marina Cohen
The Pants Project by Cat Clarke
Armstrong & Charlie by Steven B. Frank
Fish Girl by Donna Jo Napoli, illustrated by David Weisner
How to Outsmart a Billion Robot Bees by Paul Tobin, illustrated by Thierry Lafontaine
Secrets & Sequences by Gene Luen Yang, illustrated by Mike Homes
Journey Across the Hidden Islands by Sarah Beth Durst
The Stone Heart by Faith Erin Hicks
Get It Together, Delilah by Erin Gough
The Dead Inside by Cyndy Etler
Things I Should Have Known by Claire Lazebnik
Max by Sarah Cohen-Scali
Wonderful Feels Like This by Sara Lovestam
The Cruelty by Scott Bergstrom
Life in a Fishbowl by Len Vlahos


After going through Winter/Spring's highly anticipated titles, and making our personal wish lists (wink wink), Mary E. Pearson, the author behind The Remnant Chronicles, made a special guest appearance, which positively thrilled me! She discussed her titles (they are amazing, by the way) and answered a series of questions from this year's preview event attendees. The experience was phenomenal, and I certainly hope to meet Mary in person someday!



After the Q/A, readers broke up into groups for a discussion regarding next year's upcoming titles.

What book are you most anticipating?

It's so difficult to pick just one, however I'd have to say it's Wires and Nerve by Marissa Meyer.  I'm still not over her Lunar Chronicles series, and this extra story in graphic novel format is icing on the cake!

What book are you reading now?

I'm currently reading Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas, one of my most anticipated titles of 2016 thus far. I can't say much about what's going on so far in the title (because spoilers), however I will tell you that I'll be getting zero sleep because EXCITEMENT!

What are your favourite books of the year so far?

Mark of the Plague by Kevin Sands, Dark Matter by Blake Crouch, Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Cordova, and With Malice by Eileen Cook have been a few that came to mind immediately.



Thank you, Raincoast Books, for hosting yet another incredible and informative Teens Read preview event! Although it breaks my heart that I couldn't attend in person, I'm glad I was still able to participate in another way. Readers, be sure to check out the lists above for some seriously amazing upcoming titles. Be sure to let me know if any catch your eye!


Happy reading,



You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I get you girly. I wouldn't be too happy about missing an in-person event when I'm so used to attending it in person all the time. Just know you weren't alone because everyone was there online chatting away :)

    Excellent recap on all the upcoming titles. I've already started adding a bunch that you liked to my Goodreads. I'm excited to see your reviews when they start popping up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay OKAY I'm just minutly freaking out over Freeks! I didn't know Amanda Hocking had a new book coming out and I'm so thrilled to hear the news! The new Marissa Meyer story also sounds interesting. Thank you for posting a full post based on the event, I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Windwitch!
    Wires and Nerves!
    Duels & Deceptions!
    My list for books next year is growing thanks to your detailed post on your preview event. How exciting! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm green with envy! I would love to be a blogger and go to these types of events. Imagine meeting all those authors and publicists?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo hoo,so many awesome titles! :)
    I'm most excited for Caraval :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Contact Form