youngadult

Review: Overdrive by Dawn Ius

Thursday, September 29, 2016Cupcake Queen



Overdrive
by Dawn Ius
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Format:Hardcover
Release Date:September 13th, 2016
Purchase: [Amazon] [Chapters/Indigo]
Gone in Sixty Seconds meets Heist Society in this edgy novel about a crack team of teenage criminals on a mission to learn to trust, build a life, and steal a wish list of exotic cars.

Jules Parish has screwed up.

After three years of boosting cars, she got caught. She’s too good to get caught, but she let her (ex)-boyfriend talk her into a questionable job. And now she and her little sister, Emma, will be kicked out of their foster home, left to survive on the unforgiving streets of Las Vegas alone.

Unless.

Eccentric, wealthy Roger Montgomery wants to open up his mansion to Jules and Emma. The only catch? Jules must steal seven of the rarest, most valuable muscle cars in the world…in seven weeks. Even worse, she’s forced to put her trust in three complete strangers to help her do it.

First there’s Chelsea, the gorgeous redhead with a sharp tongue and love for picking locks. Then there’s Mat, who hasn’t met a system he couldn’t hack. And finally there’s the impossibly sexy car thief Nick, whose bad attitude and mysterious past drive Jules crazy.

With nothing in common and everything to lose, can Jules and her amateur crew pull off what could be the biggest car heist in history? Or will things spin out of control faster than a Nevada dust devil?
     


Having never picked up a Dawn Ius book in the past, I wasn't quite sure what to expect from her in Overdrive. Pitched as, what I assumed at first, to be a teen's version of The Fast and the Furious, I was eager to dive into the title as soon as possible. Fast cars, talented teens, and some promising action - how could I possibly resist?

"He smiles. It's a beautiful smile. The kind that burrows it's way under my skin and sucker punches me right in the chest."

Overdrive by Dawn Ius features characters Jules and Emma, two sisters who haven't had the easiest of lives. Jules, the older sister, was pulled into a world of boosting cars and grand theft auto but a dreadful ex, but when she's eventually caught, it brings trouble for her and her little sister. Facing a fate that could quite possibly mean living off the unforgiving streets, Jules and Emma are offered a room at the exceptionally wealthy Roger Montgomery estate - but the offer comes with a price. Jules must steal seven of the most valuable cars in the world.

Not being much of a Fast and Furious or muscle car lover, I wasn't sure Overdrive was going to be my kind of read. I'd mainly given it a shot based on the incredible reviews Dawn's previous titles have received. However, I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. I did run into a few plot snags here and there, but I overall enjoyed Jules and Overdrives' well written supporting characters. It was a breezy read that was both thrilling and intriguing, and I'm certain other readers will find enjoyment in it as I did.



Rating: 
4 / 5 Cupcakes




This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited with the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Not a big fan of that particular franchiese LOL but the books sounds wonderful. Thanks for taking the time to review it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle Henderson29 September 2016 at 11:28

    I simply love books that sound exactly like this. I love a good high-speed thriller now and again so I'm excited to take a read of this one soon. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting book. I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Contact Form