youngadult

Review: Vassa in the Night by Sarah Porter

Friday, September 30, 2016Cupcake Queen



Vassa in the Night
by Sarah Porter
Publisher: TOR Teen
Format:Hardcover
Release Date:September 20th, 2016
Purchase: [Amazon] [Chapters/Indigo]
In the enchanted kingdom of Brooklyn, the fashionable people put on cute shoes, go to parties in warehouses, drink on rooftops at sunset, and tell themselves they’ve arrived. A whole lot of Brooklyn is like that now—but not Vassa’s working-class neighborhood.

In Vassa’s neighborhood, where she lives with her stepmother and bickering stepsisters, one might stumble onto magic, but stumbling out again could become an issue. Babs Yagg, the owner of the local convenience store, has a policy of beheading shoplifters—and sometimes innocent shoppers as well. So when Vassa’s stepsister sends her out for light bulbs in the middle of night, she knows it could easily become a suicide mission.

But Vassa has a bit of luck hidden in her pocket, a gift from her dead mother. Erg is a tough-talking wooden doll with sticky fingers, a bottomless stomach, and a ferocious cunning. With Erg’s help, Vassa just might be able to break the witch’s curse and free her Brooklyn neighborhood. But Babs won’t be playing fair. . . .
     


I LOVED THIS BOOK! It's going to be fairly tough to describe why without a whole bunch of fan girling, but I can assure you that readers are going to adore Vassa in the Night to itty-bitty pieces!

I was first introduced to the title during a Raincoast Teensread preview event not long ago. The cover art was gorgeous and prominently displayed while early praise was being spoken, and I was immediately eager to read it. As fate would have it, I would that same day receive a copy in my swag bag, and the rest is history. Diving into the title, I found it was as promised, an enchanting fairy tale re-telling with a magical twist. Not being familiar with the original Russian tale, I took it upon myself to look it up several chapters into Vassa and became intrigued even more. In Vassa in the Night, Vassa lives in an enchanted world where magic and the unusual thrive freely. She lives in a world knowing that her next outing or last breath could possibly be her last, but she continues to thrive on with the help of her mouthy friend Erg.

As the novel progresses, readers begin to learn more about Vassa and her strange and unusual world. Curses by witches, a race against time, all-night parties, and an ever-growing night become prominent to the plot's development, and Vassa begins to grow fiercer and more knowledgeable as a protagonist. Furthermore, I not only adored Vassa's strong development as a character, but also adored her bickering with Erg. Additionally, I strongly felt the presence of Sarah Porter's past creative writing experience throughout the title. I felt that Vassa in the Night, in comparison to other titles, was far more careful in description and possessed far more depth in plot than I've experience in a long time in other fairy tale inspired titles - it was bliss!

I'd compare Vassa in the Night by Sarah Porter to the likes of The Night Circus and the Winter series simply due to the fact that it feels like pure magic between the pages. Readers with a hankering for fairy tale inspired stories are highly recommended Vassa in the Night. It will hook you immediately and Sarah Porter's world will positively enthrall you.



Rating: 
4.5 / 5 Cupcakes




This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited with the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I've heard so many wonderful things about Vassa in the Night. Thank you for your honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is so amazing! I agree with you completely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful review, Wendy. I've been looking forward to your thoughts on Vassa since your event recap post where you spoke about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pleased to read you enjoyed Vassa in the Night :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm waiting for my copy to arrive! I found the use of a Russian tale unique and intriguing, and that's what caught my attention in the first place. I haven't read many great retellings, but for some reason I'm waiting for this one to dazzle me. Plus, the cover is absolutely stunning!! Thanks for your review and your obvious fangirling, Wendy! ahahaha Glad you enjoyed it ^^

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Instagram

Contact Form