Friday, 4 November 2016

Review: The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid





The Diabolic
by S.J. Kincaid
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Format: Hardcover
Release Date: November 1st, 2016
Purchase: [Amazon] [Chapters/Indigo]
A Diabolic is ruthless. A Diabolic is powerful. A Diabolic has a single task: Kill in order to protect the person you’ve been created for.

Nemesis is a Diabolic, a humanoid teenager created to protect a galactic senator’s daughter, Sidonia. The two have grown up side by side, but are in no way sisters. Nemesis is expected to give her life for Sidonia, and she would do so gladly. She would also take as many lives as necessary to keep Sidonia safe.

When the power-mad Emperor learns Sidonia’s father is participating in a rebellion, he summons Sidonia to the Galactic court. She is to serve as a hostage. Now, there is only one way for Nemesis to protect Sidonia. She must become her. Nemesis travels to the court disguised as Sidonia—a killing machine masquerading in a world of corrupt politicians and two-faced senators’ children. It’s a nest of vipers with threats on every side, but Nemesis must keep her true abilities a secret or risk everything.

As the Empire begins to fracture and rebellion looms closer, Nemesis learns there is something more to her than just deadly force. She finds a humanity truer than what she encounters from most humans. Amidst all the danger, action, and intrigue, her humanity just might be the thing that saves her life—and the empire.
     


The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid is one of Fall 2016's absolute MUST reads, and for good reason, as well.  Described as a space-opera, the title has received months of high praise from bloggers (just like myself), fellow authors, and even other publications. It has been promised to be as ruthless and diabolic as it's premise predicts, so when I first received a copy in the mail from Simon & Schuster Canada, I immediately pounced on the opportunity to dive right on in.

"I could kill her and everything would still go according to plan."

Well...WOW! I can say with absolute certainty that it's been years since I've read anything quite like The Diabolic. Ruthless and as diabolic as it promised, The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid had me shaking with excitement from the very beginning, and had me clawing for an immediate sequel. Additionally, I adored Sidonia and Tyrus to pieces. Their interactions grew on me immensely and I found myself begging to see more of them as the title progressed, which they thankfully did! The plot, overall, was stupendously refreshing, new, and exactly what I needed to emerge in the YA genre. It was well-detailed, ripe with drama, and I can't wait to see where S.J. Kincaid takes her readers in the following installments. I'm consumed with anticipation!

"Perhaps scorpions were the only ones who could save each other."

The Diabolic was intense, provoking, and unbelievably detailed and well - written. It was everything I expected from S.J. Kincaid, and then some! It had the impossibly well-detailed and political plot of a Gundam series (yes, I enjoy the Gundam franchise) without the mechs, and it not only has inspired me to pursue this series further but it's also completely captivated me. Readers with a passion for something new, dramatic, and full of not only swoon-worthy moments but also great character development, are HIGHLY recommended The Diabolic!




Rating: 
5 / 5 Cupcakes




This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited with the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

4 comments

  1. Incredible review! I'm even more excited now to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it interesting that you mention the Gundam franchise. I too am a huge fan and I found the political mentions in the synopsis to be so similar but then again not? Glad I'm not the only one who saw that! Great review by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yaaay! I rated it 5 out of 5 huskies! Glad we feel the same :) I really enjoyed this book, and wish there was a sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I love is when authors create wonderful plot-heavy books that still grab you because of the characters, like this one did for you!

    Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete