youngadult

Review: Our Chemical Hearts by Krystal Sutherland

Tuesday, November 15, 2016Cupcake Queen





OUR CHEMICAL HEARTS
by Krystal Sutherland
Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers
Format: Hardcover
Release: October 4th, 2016
Purchase: [Amazon] [Chapters/Indigo]
Henry Page has never been in love. He fancies himself a hopeless romantic, but the slo-mo, heart palpitating, can't-eat-can't-sleep kind of love that he's been hoping for just hasn't been in the cards for him—at least not yet. Instead, he's been happy to focus on his grades, on getting into a semi-decent college and finally becoming editor of his school newspaper. Then Grace Town walks into his first period class on the third Tuesday of senior year and he knows everything's about to change.

Grace isn't who Henry pictured as his dream girl—she walks with a cane, wears oversized boys' clothes, and rarely seems to shower. But when Grace and Henry are both chosen to edit the school paper, he quickly finds himself falling for her. It's obvious there's something broken about Grace, but it seems to make her even more beautiful to Henry, and he wants nothing more than to help her put the pieces back together again. And yet, this isn't your average story of boy meets girl. Krystal Sutherland's brilliant debut is equal parts wit and heartbreak, a potent reminder of the bittersweet bliss that is first love.
     


Our Chemical Hearts by Krystal Sutherland was a title in which I was eagerly anticipating. After being introduced to the title by Penguin Random House Canada - a tale of unconventional love, it's ups and downs, and everything in between - I was eager to dive into it immediately. I was hoping to find a title that would be revolutionary when it came to contemporary romances in the YA genre, and in that aspect I somewhat find it to be quite true.

"Love doesn't need to last a lifetime for it to be real. You can't judge the quality of a love by the length of time it lasts. "

Our Chemical Hearts by Krystal Sutherland was a thought-provoking and, in my opinion, a title focusing on an important message - beauty and love isn't about the very little that the eye sees, but however has much more to do with the kind of person said individual is. In this day and age, it's tough to find a true contemporary title that focuses on the nitty-gritty, characters with truly ugly and imperfect pasts (not the typical tortured soul spiel to cast a spell over the reader), and in this very aspect, I found Our Chemical Hearts to be truly revolutionary in itself in the young adult genre. With that said, however, Our Chemical Hearts ultimately failed to win me over. Don't get me wrong, the premise was on point for me and I adored learning more about Grace, who by the way was a phenomenal character. It was Henry, however, that struck quite a few sour chords with me. He felt overdeveloped, almost a little too eager to convince me of what was true and false, and this too was true with his thoughts about Grace. He felt....melodramatic. Despite that, however, I quite enjoyed Our Chemical Hearts and would highly recommend it to anyone seeking a unique contemporary title for younger readers.




Rating: 
3 / 5 Cupcakes




This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited with the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Too bad you didn't love it but excellent review nevertheless

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on your observations on Henry.

    He wasn't the likeable character I expected him to be. I can see you and I had very many of the same thoughts when it came to Our Chemical Hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read this so bad! I've been seeing it everywhere! Too bad you weren't that into it. Your review is really good and once I've read it, I'll probably be able to form a coherent opiinion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was tempted to request an ARC of this book because the cover really caught my eye, but I'm just not very into contemporary right now, so I held off. After reading your review though, I find that I'm curious enough about it now that I may just pick it up at the library, if not buy it. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would love a contemporary with a message as important as this one, that what truly matters in love is the person inside! So sorry you didn't feel it did the theme justice, although I'm glad you loved Grace, but too bad the guy love interest wasn't awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Contact Form