Friday, 25 November 2016

Review: The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon



THE SUN IS ALSO A STAR
by Nicola Yoon
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Format: Hardcover
Release Date: November 1st, 2016
Purchase: [Amazon] [Chapters/Indigo]
Natasha: I’m a girl who believes in science and facts. Not fate. Not destiny. Or dreams that will never come true. I’m definitely not the kind of girl who meets a cute boy on a crowded New York City street and falls in love with him. Not when my family is twelve hours away from being deported to Jamaica. Falling in love with him won’t be my story.

Daniel: I’ve always been the good son, the good student, living up to my parents’ high expectations. Never the poet. Or the dreamer. But when I see her, I forget about all that. Something about Natasha makes me think that fate has something much more extraordinary in store—for both of us.

The Universe: Every moment in our lives has brought us to this single moment. A million futures lie before us. Which one will come true?
     


I believe I speak for everyone when I say Nicola Yoon's The Sun is Also a Star was one of THE most anticipated books of 2016. After falling head over heels for Everything, Everything, Nicola Yoon's spellbinding way of telling a heartfelt and unique tale took the book world by storm. When I first learned about her 2nd title, I was pumped! I couldn't wait, and in fact was shaking with anticipation for that fateful email from Penguin Random House Canada in regards to ARCs. When said email arrived, it's fair to say I screamed, mildly blacked out, and then promptly replied back with a fangirlish fervor that could only come from yours truly.

“I didn't know you this morning, and now I don't remember not knowing you.”

The Sun is Also a Star was pure joy in paper form - an absolute wonder! The theme throughout The Sun is Also a Star is fate - destiny, kismet, all that jazz and more. It features protagonists Daniel and Natasha, both of whom I adored to pieces! This fantastically unique and diverse duo were exactly what I needed, a lovable dose of honest to god REALISTIC characters, with detailed backgrounds, feverent passions, and ridiculously adorable personalities. The entire title, and I mean the ENTIRE title, had me hooked. I was bewitched from the first moment I met Natasha all the way to it's delicious ending, The highs and lows of the title had me emotionally invested in a way no other book has done before, and I promise you that The Sun is Also a Star was NOT a title I had expected to completely wreck me. It destroyed me....but in the most amazing way, I promise. It was delicious and sweet, but fierce and tough at it's very core. Honestly, I have no other words that could ever possibly describe how positively riveting it was.

Readers - PLEASE read The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon. I can assure you that you'll share the same experience I have, and that you'll be fan(girl/boy)ing all over the online bookish community about this title right into the following year.



Rating: 
5 / 5 Cupcakes




This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited with the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

8 comments

  1. I can't wait to read it! I can't wait! I can't wait!!
    Thank you for your exciting review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh! Now I want to read this even more! *grabby hands*

    Great review!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yesss! I read this as an ARC back in the spring and I absolutely adored it! I knew it was hyped and although I liked it I was afraid that the general reaction would be that it was ‘too much’, if you know what I mean. But the positive reactions to it are so nice!
    Nice review!
    Caroline @ Just Another Bookish Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. THIS IS ONE OF MY TBR THIS 2017!!! I CAN'T WAIT OMG!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoahh, i've been wanting to read this book in a very long time. thanks for your review. :3

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE it when an author can create real characters who are complex and adorable and who feel like real people! And it's wonderful how diversity is always a priority for the author ;)

    Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this book so much! I think it's the first time we've been introduced to an African-Korean couple but it was a match made in the stars. :P
    I don't usually like insta-love but this was just too cute to dislike.

    ReplyDelete