youngadult

Review: The Cursed Queen by Sarah Fine

Monday, January 16, 2017Cupcake Queen



THE CURSED QUEEN
by Sarah Fine
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Format: Hardcover
Release Date: January 3rd, 2017
Purchase: [Amazon] [Chapters/Indigo]
Ansa has always been a fighter.

As a child, she fought the invaders who murdered her parents and snatched her as a raid prize. She fought for her place next to Thyra, the daughter of the Krigere Chieftain. She fought for her status as a warrior in her tribe: blood and victory are her way of life. But the day her Krigere cross the great lake and threaten the witch queen of the Kupari, everything changes.

Cursed by the queen with fire and ice, Ansa is forced to fight against an invisible enemy—the dark magic that has embedded itself deep in her bones. The more she seeks to hide it, the more dangerous it becomes. And with the Krigere numbers decimated and the tribe under threat from the traitorous brother of the dead Chieftain, Ansa is torn between her loyalty to the Krigere, her love for Thyra, and her own survival instincts.

With her world in chaos and each side wanting to claim her for their own, only one thing is certain: unless Ansa can control the terrible magic inside her, everything she’s fought for will be destroyed
     



When I first dove into The Impostor Queen, my first adventure into the creative mind of Sarah Fine, I was blown away! I instantly fell for Elli, her bravery and constant growth, and the incredible world building! It's vast and detailed landscapes and intricately descriptive magic was everything I am constantly on the look out from a fantasy title, and with the release of The Cursed Queen, I couldn't wait to see what would happen next to my favorite characters!

"As the spray from the Torden kisses my face, I trace my fingertip along the four notched scars that decorate my upper arm, and then along the space below them, where soon there will be more."

Alas, regrettably, The Cursed Queen didn't quite begin as a continuation of The Impostor Queen. And although I greatly missed the characters I grew to love in Impostor Queen (and their presence truly was missed), I found myself growing curiouser and curiouser over Ansa. Her life, her struggles, and inevitably, her curse, grabbed my attention almost immediately. She was a character worth reading and rooting for and I absolutely adored her story arc. Additionally, I also loved the opportunity Sarah Fine took to further grow the world we came to love in the first title, making magic, both light and dark, take greater shape, and the urgent struggle of the Krigere, I felt, painted a far larger picture of what readers can expect further into the series.

Overall, although I sorely missed the characters of The Impostor Queen, The Cursed Queen was an excellent companion title. Highly recommended to all fantasy lovers, be sure to devour this series over a long weekend - it's so, so worth it!


Rating: 
4.5 / 5 Cupcakes




This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited without the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I'm so eager to get started on this series
    Thanks for your awesome review Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED the Impostor Queen! Especially loved the main character and how much she changed, how she went from helpless to truly strong and brave, and I loved the ship!!! Glad to see the series continues, although I too would've missed the characters I connected with so much!

    Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED Sarah Fine's Impostor Queen, I immediately connected with the main character and I totally loved the ship!! It's hard to top such an awesome beginning to a series, especially with different characters, but I'm glad you enjoyed it anyway!

    Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Contact Form