featured youngadult

Review: The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco

Wednesday, March 15, 2017Cupcake Queen



THE BONE WITCH
by Rin Chupeco
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Format: Hardcover
Release Date: March 7th, 2017
Purchase: [Amazon] [Chapters/Indigo]
Tea is different from the other witches in her family. Her gift for necromancy makes her a bone witch, who are feared and ostracized in the kingdom. For theirs is a powerful, elemental magic that can reach beyond the boundaries of the living—and of the human.

Great power comes at a price, forcing Tea to leave her homeland to train under the guidance of an older, wiser bone witch. There, Tea puts all of her energy into becoming an asha, learning to control her elemental magic and those beasts who will submit by no other force. And Tea must be strong—stronger than she even believes possible. Because war is brewing in the eight kingdoms, war that will threaten the sovereignty of her homeland…and threaten the very survival of those she loves.
     



It's been a long time since I've read any books, especially in the YA genre, that focused strongly on necromancy. In fact, I feel the last series I read was likely the Necromancer series by Lish McBride, which I absolutely loved! So when I learned about The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco, I was eager to learn more about Tea, her world, and see where her powers would lead her.


"I don't feel the pain, and I don't bleed. Another perk of being dead."

The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco is most certainly not an action packed thriller. I'm not relaying that the title is severely lacking for not following that path, but I am conveying that readers should be prepared for a thick story line that continuously builds overtime without any spur-of-the-moment twists and turns. It is, in fact, one of the reasons why I absolutely loved this book. Reading a fantasy title that sometimes relies too strongly on action, romantic interests, and super-villains can be tiresome, but The Bone Witch's directive to focus solely on Tea, her character building, and the inevitable battle of wits that would come, was incredible. The Bone Witch was wonderfully detailed and well-written, and it completely captivated me. I found myself desperate to binge-read the title, and can say that Tea's tale was one that was unique and certainly one I hope to dive into once again.

The Bone Witch was an enthralling and captivating read that left me wholesomely satisfied. Readers with a love for fantasy titles that aren't overwhelmed by suspense and action, are highly recommended the title!


Rating: 
4 / 5 Cupcakes




This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited without the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I am currently reading this and it's a little slow but hopefully once I get more into it, I'll enjoy it a little more, fingers crossed!

    xx Anisha @ Sprinkled Pages

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Instagram

Contact Form