Tuesday, 7 March 2017

The Inexplicable Logic of My Life Blog Tour - Review + Excerpt




THE INEXPLICABLE LOGIC OF MY LIFE
by Benjamin Alire Sáenz
Publisher:  Clarion Books
Format: Hardcover
Release Date: March 7th, 2017
Purchase: [Amazon] [Chapters/Indigo]
From the multi-award-winning author of Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe comes a gorgeous new story about love, identity, and families lost and found.

Sal used to know his place with his adoptive gay father, their loving Mexican-American family, and his best friend, Samantha. But it’s senior year, and suddenly Sal is throwing punches, questioning everything, and realizing he no longer knows himself. If Sal’s not who he thought he was, who is he?

This humor-infused, warmly humane look at universal questions of belonging is a triumph.
     


When I was first approached by Raincoast Books to join in on the blog tour for The Inexplicable Logic of My Life, I leaped at the opportunity to not only read it but to also share my love for Benjamin Alire Saenz's lyrical writing! Although I have yet to review it (I will, I promise) I absolutely adored Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe. That book rocked my world. It shook me to the very core, had me falling irrevocably in love with it's characters, and has proven to be a strong standing LGBT title in the book community. I still strongly feel it's a book not to be missed, and I'm happy to say that Benjamin's latest is another one to be adding to your lists!

“The thing about tears is that they can be as quiet as a cloud floating across the desert sky.”

The Inexplicable Logic of my Life is about tragedy, family, friendship, and self discovery. It follows the voice of Sal, who begins to find a lot of anxiety and aggression to the impending change in his horizon.  With his friends thinking about their future and escaping from their home town, Sal finds himself being hit by reality one heart-wrenching moment at a time.  The Inexplicable Logic of My Life was, without a doubt, very different from Aristotle and Dante. It was a far more emotional title that focuses on how cruel but beautiful life can truly be. It's about discovering who you are and shaping the person you hope to someday become. It was positively beautiful! Each page was a step into the future Sal wanted for himself. And although as painful as it may have been, it was a beautiful experience I cannot wait to relish in once more. I loved every twist and turn in Sal's life and look forward to seeing what everyone else thinks of Benjamin's latest!

Contemporary readers: this is the book for you! Sal's story is one readers of all ages can identify with and it's beautiful and powerful writing is certain to completely hook you in.


Rating: 
4.5 / 5 Cupcakes



-----
Exclusive Excerpt
The Inexplicable Logic of My Life by Benjamin Alire Saenz
-----



I texted Sam as I reached her front door: I’m here! She didn’t answer.

I stood there waiting. And, you know, I got this weird feeling that things weren’t going to be the same. Sam called feelings like that premonitions. She said we shouldn’t trust them. She consulted a palm reader when we were in the ninth grade and became an instant cynic. Still, that feeling rattled me because I wanted things to stay the same—I liked my life just fine. If things could only always be like they were now. If only. And, you know, I didn’t like having this little conversation with myself—and I wouldn’t have been having it if Sam had just had a sense of time. I knew what she was up to. Shoes. Sam could never decide on the shoes. And, since it was the first day of school, it really mattered. Sam. Sam and her relationship with shoes.

Finally, she came out of the house as I was texting Fito. His dramas were different than Sam’s. I’d never had to live in the kind of chaos Fito endured every day of his life, but I thought he was doing pretty well for himself.

 “Hi,” Sam said as she finally walked out of her house. She was oblivious to the fact that I’d been standing there waiting. She was wearing a blue dress. Her backpack matched her dress, and her earrings dangled in the soft breeze. And her shoes? Sandals. Sandals? I waited all this time for a pair of sandals she bought at Target?

“Great day,” she said, all smiles and enthusiasm.
“Sandals?” I said. “That’s what I was waiting for?”
She wasn’t going to let me throw her off her game. “They’re perfect.” She gave me another smile and kissed me on the cheek.
“What was that for?”
“For luck. Senior year.”
“Senior year. And then what?”
“College!”
“Don’t bring that word up again. That’s all we’ve talked about all summer.”
“Wrong. That’s all I’ve talked about. You were a little absent during those discussions.”
“Discussions. Is that what they were? I thought they were monologues.”
“Get over it. College! Life, baby!” She made a fist and held it up high in the air.
“Yeah. Life,” I said.

She gave me one of her Sam looks. “First day. Let’s kick ass.”

We both grinned at each other. And then we were on our way. To begin living.




-----
I want to extend a big thank you to Raincoast Books for organzing this incredible blog tour and for extending an invite. Be sure to stay tuned for more reviews and excerpts as part of the blog tour!


This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited without the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

5 comments

  1. I am honestly so excited for this book! *cue screams*

    I cannot wait to get my hands on this beauty and hopefully I enjoy it as much as I enjoyed Aristotle And Dante!

    xx anisha @ Sprinkled Pages

    ReplyDelete
  2. ive heard such great things about this and i love the author!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a beautiful excerpt, and such a true line, that one you quoted! I haven't read anything by him, but I absolutely fell in love with his writing in the excerpt! You connect with the main character immediately, and I see why you loved the book!

    Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome excerpt, you really connect with the main character immediately and the dialogue flows well and I love that line you quoted! Haven't read anything by the author, but he obviously is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so exciting. This book is on my TBR for so long! Finally going to give a try!

    ReplyDelete