youngadult

Review: Defy the Stars by Claudia Gray

Tuesday, April 04, 2017Cupcake Queen



DEFY THE STARS
by Claudia Gray
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Format: Hardcover
Release Date: April 4th, 2017
Purchase: [Amazon] [Chapters/Indigo]
Noemi Vidal is a teen soldier from the planet Genesis, once a colony of Earth that's now at war for its independence. The humans of Genesis have fought Earth's robotic "mech" armies for decades with no end in sight.

After a surprise attack, Noemi finds herself stranded in space on an abandoned ship where she meets Abel, the most sophisticated mech prototype ever made. One who should be her enemy. But Abel's programming forces him to obey Noemi as his commander, which means he has to help her save Genesis--even though her plan to win the war will kill him.

Together they embark on a daring voyage through the galaxy. Before long, Noemi begins to realize Abel may be more than a machine, and, for his part, Abel's devotion to Noemi is no longer just a matter of programming.
     



When I sit back and think about it, there isn't a single Claudia Gray title I haven't enjoyed. I remember first picking up Evernight, her first book in the series of the same name, and devouring it, only to move onto the following titles in an epic binge-read. I remember being wholesomely captivated by the story of Bianca and Lucas and wishing it would never end. So when I heard of Defy the Stars, the first in a brand new series by Claudia Gray, I was stoked! Pitched as a sci-fi title perfect for fans of Illuminae and The Lunar Chronicles, I couldn't wait to see what adventures Claudia had in store for her fans!

"He's comforting her by telling her she'll still get her chance to destroy him. Guilt squeezes Noemi's heart and lungs until she can hardly breathe."

Defy the Stars by Claudia Gray felt extremely Gundam franchise-ish, and not in a bad way. My long love for all the tales in the Gundam universe is perhaps what immediately sold me on the idea of this title taking place not only in space, but also a tale that featured mechs, a complex dialogue and mind boggling conspiracies. First and foremost, I absolutely adored Noemi and Abel. Noemi came across as an immediately fierce and brave character, one that almost reminded me of Finn from Star Wars: The Force Awakens. As a soldier sent out to battle, whom is highly expected to perish, seeing her rediscover herself and accomplish so much was a breathtaking experience I thoroughly enjoyed. As for Abel, his entire existence was a complicated one, and one I couldn't help but dissect as I learned more about him the further the novel progressed. Furthermore, I additionally loved the universe building and the attention to detail that Claudia Gray presented. And although I was left with countless questions, which will without a doubt be answered in it's companion release, I felt like Defy the Stars was a refreshing take on the science fiction genre, one that, I can only hope, will bring more like-series out into the world.



Rating: 
5 / 5 Cupcakes




This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited without the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I just got this book today along with a few other books =) I'm glad you enjoyed it and I look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover is super awesome,and sounds really great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO GREAT TO HEAR YOU ENJOYED THIS! I just received it today and I am so excited to read it, especially since the cover is so stunning! Thanks for sharing!

    xx Anisha @ Sprinkled Pages

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! I haven't read any of Claudia Gray's books. I will add thwm to my TBR. Thanks for the rec.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Claudia Gray certainly knows how to develop characters and relationships and can definitely word-build, which is why I loved her first vampire series!!! (Balthazar was awesome!!) Although I'm not such a huge scifi fan, I do trust her and I like how you noticed her focus on character development isn't secondary to the worldbuiding and plot.

    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love science fiction and your review just made me really want to read Defy the stars! I'm really happy you enjoyed it:)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Contact Form